Coop door height off ground

Nivek

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 22, 2014
I'm about to cut a door in my turkey coop so they can start free ranging again if the temperature ever gets above freezing again.
I'm considering cutting the door about 2 feet off the ground to keep coyotes out of the coop if I forget to close the door at night. It seems like most people have doors right around ground level though. Is there any reason not to put a door in higher off the ground if you can? I could easily put steps of some sort in.

My coops are 2 feet off ground. Have a ramp and chickens and turkey have no problems getting in.

I'm about to cut a door in my turkey coop so they can start free ranging again if the temperature ever gets above freezing again.
I'm considering cutting the door about 2 feet off the ground to keep coyotes out of the coop if I forget to close the door at night. It seems like most people have doors right around ground level though. Is there any reason not to put a door in higher off the ground if you can? I could easily put steps of some sort in.
Having a door 2' off of the ground will not in any way shape or form deter coyotes. They can easily jump much higher than that. They can also walk up any ramp that the turkeys can walk up.

Back
Top Bottom