coop door opened during the night and 2 chickens died from the cold

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ubumartin, Feb 15, 2014.

1. ubumartin

ubumartin Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2009
    Raynham, Ma
    I shut the coop door but it opened sometime in the night.it usually latches but I didn't latch it enough and it fell open. 2 hens died I believe from getting cold. It dropped to 20s last night. I think it was the wind.they also have survived -11 one night and bitter cold single digits recently. :( One was outside the coop and one inside. 2 of my other chickens survived but one is bloody and wheezing. Both the dead chickens are bloody but I think maybe they were pecked by the other 2. Not sure where the blood is coming from I tried washing herwith a damp cloth and I can't really see any open areas. Maybe blood from the dead chickens. Anything I can do for ybe one who is wheezing?

2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Actually, to me, it sounds like an animal got into your pen and attacked your chickens.

3. Tmatthews

Tmatthews Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    Cadiz
    I agree with TTracy....it sounds more like an animal got to them instead of the cold. :(

4. emma p

emma p Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Kansas
    X2

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    X4
    100F will kill chickens, not 20.

More than one dead chicken with an open door at night and blood = predator attack. Probably raccoon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by