coop door size?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by orsurf76, May 10, 2009.

1. orsurf76

orsurf76 New Egg

Apr 10, 2009
    Hi,
    I'm building my first coop for my 6 week old chicks and I'm still not sure if my door is big enough.
    I have a ramp leading into the raised floor of the coop--how big should the opening be?

Thanks--and here's my girls:

Three Chicks A Day

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I would say 2-3 inches taller than a full size chicken's back and an inch on either side of the width of a full grown chicken's backside. My own chickens will not go through an opening if any side touches their feathers or if they have to duck down too much to get through it. (All bets are off if they are being chased, they will cram themselves into a matchbox to get away)

3. what eggs

what eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    I made mine in the same dimensions that Meriruka gave, my girls will not even come out into the yard to free range if the front door is not open all the way and might touch them.
    Your pictures are beautiful and you have really captured their personalities.

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I'd do at least 12 inches wide and 16 inches long. Make sure your ramp has alot of slats to keep the chickens from slipping.

5. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    I made a door and it is not big at all 1ft high by 1/2 foot wide they will go into it.

6. sangel4you

sangel4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    I made mine 1 foot square I think...is that going to be ok?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by