Coop door size

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by yitschaq17, Apr 6, 2012.

1. yitschaq17

yitschaq17 New Egg

Apr 6, 2012
    I'm building an a-frame chicken tractor coop, with the coop on the 2nd floor and a ramp up. Just wondering how big the hole in the floor should be to let the chickens up. Want it to be big enough to let the chickens access their coop easily, but not so big that the coop will be cold and drafty in the winter. I have 2 barred rock and 2 americauna chicks.

2. My pop door is 15x13 and I have had some pretty big girls, I would be willing to bet that there are those with smaller openings that dont have a problem though. I would be interested to see the responses of others as well. I would wait on a few more opinions before I started to cut....especially on a small unit where space may be at a premium

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  3. yitschaq17

yitschaq17 New Egg

Apr 6, 2012
    Here is my coop. The door currently is 8"x12". Just want to make sure the door is big enough. Also some pics of my chics.[​IMG][​IMG]

4. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

8" wide is plenty but the length would depend on the angle of the ramp. They would need a minimum of 14" of headroom between ramp and coop floor for clearance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by