Coop door

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by vinkelp, May 18, 2016.

1. vinkelp

vinkelp New Egg

May 18, 2016
    Hey I'm new to the chicken world we are just getting started. I was wondering if I need to close my coop doo to the chicken run every night or if I can leave it open? I will have thee feeder and waterer outside. The coop is 4x6 and the run is 12x14 completely enclosed including the top with chicken wire.

2. cabinchicky

cabinchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    You are better off closing your coop door to keep them safe. Please try to add water and feeders inside asap. Mink are very small and crafty. Please go check out the Learning Center if you haven't yet. 4 sq. ft per bird inside and 10 sq. ft. per outside is rule of thumb here. I will talk to you more tomorrow. Good luck!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Feeder outside will draw mice, rats, and everything else bad. Keep the coop door closed at night, that is when most predators are prowling for a meal. Chicken wire keeps chickens IN, does nothing to keep Predators OUT. 1/2 inch hardware cloth is pretty much the gold standard for serious fencing, tops, bottoms , sides, and backing windows that can be opened.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

I think it really depends on where you live...I live in a neighborhood..no fields, woods, or swamps near by. I leave mine open most of the time. I've seen cats lurking around, but they haven't gone in the coop..that I know of. All of my chickens have been fine for yrs. now. If you have predators like racoon, skunk, mink..the list goes on, you know what they would be where you are..then close that coop door! :)

7. cabinchicky

cabinchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    You are very lucky! I have seen raccoons in town here and coyotes also. I would worry over a stray cat or dog getting in if it wasn't for my fence and dig barrier. I only worry about mink and weasels getting in fence spaces.

8. vinkelp

vinkelp New Egg

May 18, 2016
    thank you everybody for the advice. I a going to pick up 5 tetra browns tomorrow night I want to have everything ready for my new ladies!

9. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

10. chikns-xing-rd

chikns-xing-rd New Egg

May 15, 2016
    My daughter also lives in a neighborhood and a racoon took out all 6 of her chickens...it was a literal bloodbath in the coop as the door was open and the chickens cornered. Needless to say she did not clean up..she let hubby do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by