1. rowechicks

rowechicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2017
    We are working on designing our first coop and were wondering if we really need to close the door at night. I would in the winter to help retain heat, but do I need to all year?

2. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    Which door are you talking about, I assume the small "pop" door that the chickens use and not a large walk in door?? Assuming you have a run that is secured there is not a real need to close the door other then a little added insurance. I live in Indiana and don't even have a way to close mine as my run is totally wrapped in hardware cloth. Even during the winter there is not need to close it. The coop has to have ventilation, unless you live in a very very cold environment, most hardy breeds will do just fine. We had temps well below zero with wind chills around -20 degrees this winter a few times and I kept the windows open on my coop, plus there is ventilation along the top and the eaves under my overhang are open. Sealing it up in the winter will cause more issues then the cold temps will IMO.

3. rowechicks

Apr 26, 2017
    Thank you! I am talking about the pop door, though it's more from laziness. I don't want to get up at dawn and we can't afford an automatic.

4. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio

Do you have electric in your coop? We bought an Add-a-Motor chicken door opener, paired with a cheap lamp timer and connected it to our existing popdoor. The motor is available at Amazon for less that $100.

We've had ours for 2 years, works great.

5. rowechicks

Apr 26, 2017
    I'll look into it. The only way we will get electricity there is by extension cord, though.

6. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    We close our swing door if it's going to be cold but we don't lock it ,because it's dark out they stay in and sleep but when the sun comes up my girls open the door themselves [​IMG],

I wouldn't spend that much on an automatic door , too many other things to buy for them.

7. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Quote:

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  8. 9blessings

9blessings Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2017
    Coastal Maine
    We just re-wired our coop, installing a GFCI outlet that is protected from dust by an outdoor cover. It really costs just a few dollars more to create a much safer situation.

1 person likes this.
  9. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    I assume you are free ranging and not having any type of run?

10. rowechicks

Apr 26, 2017
    We will have an enclosed run. 8 foot by 12 foot. We can only have 9 chickens and no roosters where we live.

Last edited: May 5, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by