Coop drama

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by froggie71, Nov 28, 2009.

1. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Today, the Brahmas sisters, Tiny and Yeti, were were not satisfied with the 2 nesting boxes that were available to them. Instead they waited impatiently for the "favorite" nesting box to empty.
    [​IMG]
    The "favorite" box was currently being occupied by one of the BO sisters, Buffy.
    [​IMG]
    Tiny decided she wasn't going to wait any longer and figured she would try joining Buffy and squeezed herself next to Buffy. [​IMG]
    Buffy seems to be saying, " Excuse me, this my box! Get your own!"
    Tiny did end up leaving this box and settled into the box next to it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Those BO nest hogs!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    This was also a dilema in my coop with my 13 laying hens trying to get in two of the seven Identical nests. Now with this new group it doesn't seem to be as big an issue. Those are pretty girls I love seeing goofy behaviors from chickens. Now I want brahmas and orphs [​IMG]

4. Yep, I know the deal.

[​IMG]

Silly hens.

5. lngrid

lngrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I noticed your nest boxes don't look fixed in place. What happens if you swap 'em around? Do the girls seem to want the position the box is in, or the individual box itself? I'm a chicken newbie and I don't know this...

6. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Quote:I noticed your nest boxes don't look fixed in place. What happens if you swap 'em around? Do the girls seem to want the position the box is in, or the individual box itself? I'm a chicken newbie and I don't know this...

Our boxes are removable for easy cleaning, but I don't think it's the particular box or the actual position of the box. It's just that 1 hen is already there, so that is the more desireable place to be. One day the favorite box is on the right, and the next it's in the middle.

7. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    We have 3 nesting boxes exterior wall mounted, and one larger box under the poop board. If one lays an egg in ANY ONE BOX,,,,,,,,,90% of the time they will all follow suit. The other morning I reset the timer on the auto door, and I noticed it was down around 8 am,and the girls were all in a huff. I went to reset it and as soon as it popped oped, 3 RAN inside to do thier business, and sure enough, all three eggs were in the same box an hour later. I wonder what they say to each other while they are "porpoising". [​IMG]

8. DWH

DWH Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    Well..... This is akward

9. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Maybe they talk about their day and kids like ladies at a cafe?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by