coop dust

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DrCB, Mar 12, 2016.

1. DrCB

DrCB Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2015
    My coop has a 3/4 plywood floor on blocks. I have covered the floor in wood chips (pine shavings - soft flake - lowest dust) from Tractor Supply.

I am getting a large amount of dust on the feeders, water container, light fixture, etc.

Should I be worried about this affecting my chickens' health, and what suggestions do you have as to what to do about this?

Thanks,

DrCB

2. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    I have a lot of dust in my coop also, i also use the same pine shavings you do. You shouldn't have to worry about dust in the coop- its in every coop. If you see sneezing, coughing, and other respiratory infected symptoms you should worry, but a little dust won't hurt them.

3. DrCB

DrCB Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2015
    Thanks rodNTN, for your reply.

I just finished hanging a fan from the ceiling beam in preparation for the hot summer temps. Perhaps that will help a bit with the dust.

DrCB

4. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Our coop is also very dusty, I think a lot of it comes from the chickens dust bathing. Their dust bath is out in the run but they come in and shake-off. The first time I experienced it I was amazed! They've had no health problems. We do a major clean twice a year.

We use pine shavings as well.

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    The dust shouldn't bother them, but if it bothers you, you could consider sand instead of pine shavings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by