coop dust

DrCB

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2015
My coop has a 3/4 plywood floor on blocks. I have covered the floor in wood chips (pine shavings - soft flake - lowest dust) from Tractor Supply.

I am getting a large amount of dust on the feeders, water container, light fixture, etc.

Should I be worried about this affecting my chickens' health, and what suggestions do you have as to what to do about this?

Thanks,

DrCB

Thanks MeepBeep, for your reply.

I just finished hanging a fan from the ceiling beam in preparation for the hot summer temps. Perhaps that will help a bit with the dust.

DrCB

Thanks MeepBeep, for your reply.

I just finished hanging a fan from the ceiling beam in preparation for the hot summer temps.  Perhaps that will help a bit with the dust.

DrCB

Pay attention to the fan, many times the dust will gum them up and cause them to stop... I have tried cheap box fans in my windows during the summer and if they actually stay spinning for a week it would be a miracle... I'm sure high end commercial grade fans would work much better...

I just finished hanging a fan from the ceiling beam in preparation for the hot summer temps. Perhaps that will help a bit with the dust.

DrCB
A 'ceiling' fan might move some air around to help with heat, but it won't remove the dust from the coop.
It'll just blow it the dust around and maybe even stir it up more.

@RonP has an inventive way to remove dust from the coop using a couple of leaf blowers.

Back
Top Bottom