Coop emergency

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jody78, Mar 9, 2012.

1. jody78

jody78 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2012
    What size coop would I need for 28 chickens? I have Buff Orps. They're 4 weeks old today. Right now my current coop is only going to fit up to 15..

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    A 10 X 12 would be about right, but I'd go ahead and make it 12 X 12 since most materials come in multiples of 4

3. jody78

jody78 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2012
    Would an 8x10 work??

4. thomaschickens

thomaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    I would worry that an 8x10 might be cramped for 28 birds once they're all full grown. The suggestion is 4sq ft per bird, and in an 8x10 they would only have 2.8sq ft each. Now if you're going to let them out to forage during the day and the coop is primarily for eating and sleeping, then 8x10 might be ok if you have enough roosts and nesting boxes for them. I am always on the side of bigger is better [​IMG] Good luck to you!

5. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

The smallest I'd go for that many birds would be 10 X 10-- that's on the small side, but could work if you really were careful to think out the inside and have a ladder roost so that all the birds can decide where they want to be -- more roosting space for closer quarters-- less jostling on ONE board. But I'd rather do a 12 X 12 for the exact reason the previous poster mentioned-- that they come in 12 ft lengths and will be easier to build like that.

6. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Agree with going as big as you can. But if you do not have the luxury of space, 8x8 would work, provided that there is run and they will only be locked in during extreme weathers.

Going with increment of 4 is a great idea. I personally went with 3-foot because I used scrap and recycled material, they rarely come in full size.

7. Hawkeye95

Yikes-- definitely not an 8 X 8 for 28 birds!!!! I have an 8 X 8 and I only have 11 birds in it-- honestly I would not put another bird in mine! Having seen how mine interact with each other in there-- it's in between being "just right" and being "too small". My reasons for saying so is because even for 11 birds in my 8 X 8-- 5 of them are getting their tail feathers picked out. They are allowed out every morning. But I go out there about 8am to let them out (never later). And the space is tight for them to get away from each other and there are 4 very bossy girls in there. They grab the tail feathers of the others. Consequently, I have birds with NO tails. I'm about to solve that problem with Pinless Peepers... I can NOT imagine 28 birds in my coop-- that would be crazy small; they'd kill each other.

8. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ

My experience is to the contrary. Maybe it is the way your coop is set up, maybe is the 4 meanies. My coop density is about 2sf and all are fine. I also do not close the pop door like you do, maybe that is conducive to peaceful co-habitation too.

9. Hawkeye95

That is perhaps true. My 4 mean birds are very aggressive. I do close my birds in the coop at night for their own protection as I do not trust their run to keep out predators. (they have chain link with a top) We're on the prairie, and anything can get in. We have coyotes that sniff around the coop almost nightly. However, I am surprised that you would suggest 28 birds could be stuffed into an 8 X 8 coop. I believe my coop is set up for the best use of space. My nest boxes are external-- so it takes up no additional floor space on the 8 X 8. I have a ladder style roost that runs the entire length of the 8 feet, so there are many options for roosting if they need to get away from other birds and it more than doubles my roosting. That opens up a lot of floor space in itself. They have nice big windows to look out of. Most people WILL be locking their birds up at night. It's fantastic that you don't have to do that-- so I'm guessing your birds don't actually roost IN your coop at night, but outside as well. However, I'm a little thrown that you find it acceptable to stuff nearly 30 birds in an 8 X 8 for someone that will most likely be locking them in at night... not to mention... the OP stated that they wanted 28 birds, and as we all know, that number will grow. I'm not sure what else to say without sounding mean, which is NOT my intention, so I'll leave it at that. From our posts the OP obviously has a few opinions to go off of, he can decide to do what he wants with it.

10. FreedomLover

FreedomLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Romance
    I would second the 12x12. Easy dimensions to work with, lumber wise, and plenty of space if you have to close them in at night. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by