Coop EXPANSION Plans and pictures!!*update in post #10*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by StrayMagnet, Jul 23, 2011.

1. StrayMagnet

StrayMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    TIME TO SHOW YOU MY EXPANSION PLANS!!!
    This is what I have so far.. not much just the floor layed out how i want it.. NOt sure if i'll add 1 more plank. or leave it as it.. most likely add One more.

[​IMG]

ANd here is where I played with my paint program to figure how I would do it if I do not add that last Pallet. but if i do the door will move FWD:
    [​IMG]

And here is more of a explnation of where everything will go.. They Hen box shel will be of 2 pallets. or just a shel with them plastic milk crates.. or pails with half lids.? and a hole in the back so I can reach in and snag eggs to collect.

[​IMG]

not sure yet what to use inside and out for paneling. but I know I need to think fast. as I want to have at least the Inside paneling done by Winter.

but im sure chick chick's been out in winter before. I will just put extra hay or wood chips..
    Do u think a fleece blanket will be ok?

nothing special. but Not bad for someone who has No carpentry skills at all

if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. I have no clue how to do a slanted roof. so I am going to do a flat one.. we don't get snow much and if we do nothing a shovel wont cure.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Looks good! Best of luck! [​IMG]

3. Game Bird Guy

Game Bird Guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
    I like it. Keep us updated.

4. StrayMagnet

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    Thanks guys and gals!

I"m excited to start it, and be able to share it with people who can apreciate it!, I know my hubby can care less. as long as he dose not have to help me as much. he just don't "do" that stuff.. The animals are my thing. Yard work. and planning our fence is "his thing" but I know when it comes to raising the walls he will help me some.

HE got home from work this eve. and as soon as he pull in the drive.. he saw the pallets in his headlights, and asked me why I had the pallets moved. an I told him.

I'm trying to figure out if i wan tto slide some Insulation down the middle of the pallets, and have it between the inside and outside wall.

I saw someone else's coop with them Vents you get for your heat inside the house.. They will be great!. I can easily use them. then in winter Cover them with plastic. or hardware cloth. with a closeable plank window? I dont know so many ways I can take this.

5. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Looks like you have it under control, good luck and please keep us updated.
    thanks
    omran

6. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    Looks like you are planning well. I used a slant roof on my smaller coop, I sort it just like a studded wall and secured it to the top of my walls (my coop is 4X6, not as large as what yours appears to be). As far as the fleece blanket, they shouldn't need it. They will most likely peck at it and make a big mess out of it. Good luck, and promise hubby a nice egg omlete in exchange for his help. If that don't work, suggest using his tool shed, LOL!

7. StrayMagnet

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    Quote:He don't have a tool shed [​IMG].. I"M the one who has all the tools, but they are in a cabinet in our kitchen.. I Actually LOVE tools, and I get excited when he gets me more. (he dose survey's and gets prize points and buys me tools with his points)

I told him when he buys a shed he has to buy me one LMAO. when he gave me a dirty look i said> well I guess this means u have no protest in my building a house [​IMG]

8. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

nice. love the over lay!

9. StrayMagnet

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    Thanks everyone... and if anyone has any suggestoins Plz do not hesitate to give them to me. I'm not gonna be offended at all

I am no way shape or form a carptner. Shoot I can't even read a ruler other then the inch marks and 1/2 inch marks.. I have no clue what the lil tiny marks even are! math was NOT my strong point and failed Ruler reading 101. Sad being im almost 35 but hey I never thought I'd need it.

but anywho.. I just picture something in my head.. and how am I gonna do it.. what I will need. I never think about Measurments lol. I just go with whats in my head.

now It's prol. beacuse (and im not lying) ALL my uncles on my dad's side of the family were Carptners, Electrictions, Plumbers. and so are alot of the nephews (my dad was 2nd youngest of 9)

so alot of his nephews are also the same. only 1 uncle still living. but we have the nephews to carry on that side of the family's Building skills... but Dad he knew how to do some stuff as well. just not like the others.. wheneever dad needed work done on our house.. no one touched it other then one of his brothers. sometimes if i need to know how to do something I'll call my uncle and ask him..
    I get my creativness from him. Daddy was a man that could take several junk fans.. pick n pull off each till he rebuilt a entire new fan. that worked. he also one day found this Magnifing glass lamp.. it was huge. but it didnt work. and the stand to it was missing. was just the lap/glass part and top half of where it woulda attached to a base.. well he Had me pull it from the trash where he found it. and went home.. and rigged it up on this plank of wood.. a coffee can. and a crap load of rocks. and a HUGE C-clamp.. so it will attach to the kitchen table.

so yea This is where I get my Visions from.. dad... I hopefuly will go tomarrow to my friends hubby's work. and get more pallets. i like them smaller ones.. caus they are all the same size and I wont have to pick n choose witch to take of the big ones.. and i can get more of the small ones in the truck. I'm figuring I'll need 20 pallets.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  10. StrayMagnet

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    Ok... I played with that google sketchup app.. lol.. and man it's cool

so here is what I came up with for the Henhouse/coop. Instead of the pictures I posted before.> This will be more of a model on what I'll be doing. Mind u I am NOT a carptner. and Have no skill.. I just picture something and try to figure what i can use to make it.

**EDIT TO CHANGE DESIGN NOW THAT I FOUND SOME NEW MATERIAL

Frontal/side view
    [​IMG]

I came across a neibor tossing out a huge Bookcase!! so I asked if i can have it.. it will make up one bottom part of a wall. and stick out a lil bitt. 4 compartments will be the nest box's. and one a door to get out into the 2nd run.
    I am going to remove the back. and put plywood in place to be able to get eggs. then a seperate plant with door to open on one of the sections to make a door

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by