1. Hack2Override

Hack2Override Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Camden, Ohio
    Im almost done with my coop build but need to put on some exterior paneling. I like the loom of the t1-11 but think its a bit pricey.At 35$ a sheet,I would spend about 200 alone to put up my exterior boards. Any suggestions for paneling?

Also , any suggestions for a primer before I get to painting?

Thanks, Kyle

2. kiwiegg

kiwiegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Minnesota
    Hi Kyle. I was a big fan of T1-11 until I saw how much it went up in price. I used the Hardi boards (4'x8') which are actually cheaper than T1-11 and with less maintenence. They are still pricey but the way I look at it is I have to look at the coop every day in my back yard and I could save a bunch of money on siding but need to rebuild in 10 years . The Hardi stuff cames pre-primed and is easy to cut (use respirator /mask if using a diamond blade - the dust is really bad for you!

3. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    There is another product, an exterior plywood siding with similar "grooves" which is less expensive. I saw it mentioned in another thread here. I think it was available at Lowe's.

We put 4 X 10 sheets of Hardipanel on our house, and I think each one weighs 92 pounds, which was difficult to work with.

4. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I used a siding called Smartside from Lowes. It like a pressboard kind of siding, it has something like a 40yr warranty. It has a couple of different finishes to it. The siding I got looks like old barn boards. When I got it a couple of years ago it was $18.00 a sheet. It still looks as good, after 2yrs of sun, rain, snow, hot and cold weather, as the day I installed it. I'd use it again.
    Jack

5. Hack2Override

Hack2Override Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Camden, Ohio
    I ended up going with the t1-11.. I had started to grab the smart side with is now at about 22.00 a sheet. But i really didnt like the pressed board aspect and how long it would last since Im not to familiar with its exterior use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by