Coop Finished and the girls are in! Run is in progress..Lots of PICS

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CT_Todd, Aug 16, 2010.

1. CT_Todd

CT_Todd Chirping

Aug 5, 2010
    Hebron, CT
    So finally finished the coop and moved the chicks in yesterday morning. Still got a few minor things to do on the coop but its 99% done. (Have not done the next boxes yet as well.)
    I am getting carried away on the run but its all good...Hoping to get that done by the end of the week so they can get outside..
    The run is approx 12 x 20 x 16 x 12. They will have lots of room in there... It will be 6 feet high at its lowest point and since the yard slopes down a little, the headroom increase to almost 8 feet! LOL
    The coop is approx 5 x 9 with a slider window on one side, 1 5x7 vent on the same side, 2 8 x 16 vents in the front and a large opening in the coop shed wall pictured below.
    I will house 6 chickens for now.

So here is the picture of the coop/and in progress run facing my backyard from the side of the house..
    [​IMG]

Run from the front. (6 foot ladder in the middle of the run for height reference)
    [​IMG]

This pictures shows how I kept part of the structure as a shed. You can walk in and be under cover. The human door and the 'observation window' are over here. The back of this is where the nest boxes will be accessed when I build them. (The human door is open in the picture)
    [​IMG]

Here is a shot with the human door closed.
    [​IMG]

Here is what I call the observation window. It has hardward cloth built into the studs, then the plywood was put over it. I cut around it and hinged the plywood back into place. So in the winter in can be closed tight. Then if we ever want to look at the chickens or when winter end, we can keep this open all the time.
    [​IMG]

A view inside the coop before we put the shavings down
    [​IMG]

The kids made name signs for the chickens that we will hang on the outside coop wall. (I told them they should go into business doing this for folks! LOL)
    [​IMG]

Chicken door opened..
    [​IMG]

Finally the girls enjoying a little exploring time around the chicken door..(I backed the dog crate up against the wall while the run is not completed..)
    [​IMG]

2. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    I am jealous - that looks fantastic.

3. Anguissette

Anguissette Songster

Jan 31, 2010
    Eastern NC
    Todd I am SO jealous!!! It is HUGE and just looks really awesome! I especially love the signs the kids made! Too cute.[​IMG]

4. JustDawn

JustDawn Songster

Dec 7, 2009
    Alpharetta Ga
    Great job! Love the signs!

5. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Looks great!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by