Coop Finished.. *PICS*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ellie, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Here it is; sorry for the mess but I couldn't wait to share with my chicken friends. [​IMG]

This shows the covered part of the run
    [​IMG]

Here is the front with the top door open

[​IMG]

There is 2ft. welded wire on the ground next to the fence.

[​IMG]

The windows are removable plexiglass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I designed the inside so I don't have to step in poop to feed/water them. The wood you see in front is a door. I can step inside, then close the door behind me and lean over the inside door and feed them. The chains are where the food and water are. I could not get a better shot because the sun was shining in on it. I have 2 galvanized trash cans to the right so I can dip in and get their feed and pour it right in the feeder.

I put water inside too, so I have a hose to give them water and don't have to schlep it in from outside.

The girls are happy out of their box. [​IMG]
    Ellie

2. betejean

betejean New Egg

Sep 12, 2007
    Idaho
    [​IMG] Way cool!

3. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    I am way jealous:D Love the coop!!!!!

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Wow, fancy schmancy! My kids are living in tenement housing compared to your great digs.

5. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Love it. And now you've put ideas in my head! I never thought of a permanent, hard cover over the run before. My birds just gotta have one! (I'm sure Mr. horsewishr will be thrilled to hear about his next project [​IMG] )

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    That is a beautiful set-up ya got there!!!! Lucky chickens.

7. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Thanks everyone. I still have to put chicken wire over the top to keep hawks out and such.

I bought the shed with no windows and then remodeled the inside and added windows for the girls.

The white pipe you see in the foreground is for their misting system. In the summer here it is very, very hot. I got it plumbed and it is on a timer but need to bring it over to their run. (Shoot, I have one on the patio but it is not on a timer!)

Ellie

8. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Hey that is very nice! Very well thought out.

Is there a way to stop them from roosting on or getting into the outer part that you step into to care for them, Just wondering?

9. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    "Is there a way to stop them from roosting on or getting into the outer part that you step into to care for them"

Good point, TxChiknRanchers

At this time, there isn't but I will have to add another door with hinges over the bottom one and use wire all the way around. I am lucky because they are too little to get up there right now [​IMG] 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Then I only have to open the door to feed them.

I am hoping to get it done in a few weeks. This has been quite the project as many of you know. Painting the outside and inside and staining/sealing the floor. I put linoleum over that when it dried.

Ellie

10. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    OK that works, after you deal with the feathered friends a while those kinda questions automatically come to mind. [​IMG]

btw, we have some EE's that cleared 4 ft wall at 7 wks. go figer

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by