Coop finished, pics!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by camotruck, Jun 26, 2010.

1. camotruck

camotruck Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Finally the coop and the run is complete, I just need another coat of red paint on the coop.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

nest boxes
    [​IMG]

big window on the backside facing the woods
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

here's the RIR's when I got them at 10 days old.
    [​IMG]

here they are at 7 weeks
    [​IMG]

sorry for the crappy pics through the hardware wire.

All in all I have about $250-$300 invested in the coop and the run. All the siding for the coop was used decking that I had given to me. The white paint was leftover that I had in the basement, went out and bought the red paint. The rest was 2x4's, treated 2x4's, hardware, 1200 lbs of sand, screws, nails, and hardware wire being a pretty big expense. I wound up using 65' to 70' of it by 3' wide. Coop is 4'x4' not including the nesting boxes, run is 4'x4' under the coop and 6'x6' outside of it.

Just thought I would share it with you, thanks.

Just a side note, I put little awnings above all the windows and doors that you can see in some of the pics. I hope it will help keep some of the rain out.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. camotruck

May 22, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Forgot, I had to but drip edge also, but the shingles were donated.

3. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Nice job! You've got some pretty serious lock action going on that coop and run; what kind of predators do you have around there?!

4. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    What a beautiful coop! I think you are gonna have some happy chickies! [​IMG]

5. camotruck

May 22, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Quote:LOL!!! KIDS!!! That's mostly it, just for now to keep my kids from screwing around when I'm not around, and my 4 yr old nephew next door. Just an easy way to keep them out when I'm not around. Peace of mind I guess.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Nice job there! Kid proofing is good! [​IMG]

7. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:LOL!!! KIDS!!! That's mostly it, just for now to keep my kids from screwing around when I'm not around, and my 4 yr old nephew next door. Just an easy way to keep them out when I'm not around. Peace of mind I guess.

Note to self: BUY MORE LOCKS. [​IMG]

8. Wabi Sabi

Wabi Sabi Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010

Note to self: BUY MORE LOCKS. [​IMG]

Ha! Tell me about it, LOL!

One of the things on my to-do list ASAP is to get a toddler-proof lock. My 2 year old has managed to learn how to get into our coop and she's either constantly letting the chickens out OR she goes into the coop, sits down in the poopy run, and plays with her baby dolls.

9. UGAchick

UGAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Wow - that coop is pretty! Yes, I said pretty. Not often used to describe coops, but perfectly descriptive in this case!

10. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I love this coop! Mind if I have Dh copy some of the design?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by