1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop Finished, the neighbors must think we're nuts.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mr BrahmaRama, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Mr BrahmaRama

Mr BrahmaRama Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2015
    Dubuque, Iowa
    My Coop
    I've been working on this thing since late April. My neighbors thought it was going to be a playhouse for the kids. I think I saw eyebrows raise when I told them it was a chicken coop. Visit my coop page if you want to see more pics, the build in progress and our hens. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/iowa-coop

[​IMG]

2. danegirl88

danegirl88 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2015
    Portsmouth, Virginia
    Wow, that looks really nice!!!

3. NeseO

NeseO Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2014
    North California
    That is intense! Lucky ladies[​IMG]

4. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    That is a beaut! Just make sure you have an auto door on that coop to keep predators out, since 2x4 farm fencing won't keep out weasels, rats, snakes, etc. Hardware cloth is very expensive for the entire run, so an auto door made the most sense for my situation (I'm also using farm fence for my extended run).

5. Mr BrahmaRama

Mr BrahmaRama Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2015
    Dubuque, Iowa
    My Coop
    Thanks. No auto door yet, but we are locking all of the coop doors at night, the main and run access. They all make there way into the coop just before dark, we lock the door behind them.

6. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana

That works. I opened and closed my coop every evening for over a year. It's just a pain when you are out with friends and have to run home to close the coop (well, sometimes it is a great excuse to cut out heh) or want to get away for a few days. I know auto doors are expensive, but they are worth it.

I am happier, and more important my chickens are happier with the auto door. They get outside at first sunlight, and are secured every night. Technically I don't have to do anything besides check their food and water every few days, but of course I still visit with them several times a day. Even if I let them free range and forget to close the run, I can sleep good knowing they are still safe.

7. pegern4

pegern4 New Egg

Jan 17, 2016
    Yuba City, California.
    beautiful

8. barneveldrerman

barneveldrerman Chillin' With My Peeps

Beautiful design and wonderful craftsmanship!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by