1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coop finished

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by joanm, May 31, 2007.

1. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    My coop is finally finished! (just a little painting)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. siouxbee

siouxbee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    wow, that is very cute -- I love the illustrations, and I really dig the way you use those window closures to latch the doors shut! I have oodles of those, so you can bet I'll be copying your idea! Is that the one the guy sells the plans for on ebay?

3. Julie R

Julie R Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2007
    I really love the coop - I have a question how many chickens can it hold ? right now I am trying to plan on what I want my coop to look like - right now I only have two chickens but plan on getting about 10 -15 more in a few weeks.

Julie

4. joanm

May 13, 2007
    Thanks! I found a picture of the coop on mypetchicken.com and then found a book called "Chicken Coops 45 building plans for housing your flock" by Judy Pangman. Coop is called Kids Garden Coop or Playhouse Coop.

5. joanm

May 13, 2007
    My coop is 4ft x 8ft, but the original plan that I went off of is 7 x 4 and it says it will hold up to 5 chickens. I have 5 chicks now so if I want more I'll have to build another coop!

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    That looks really fantastic. I've always loved that design, but I especially like your color scheme and the decorative painting.

I always thought that design would also work well, if you doubled the house portion. Make that part 4x4, instead of 2x4 and plan on not moving, as it would be heavier. Not that we could get the smaller version moved, without hiring 4 big guys! [​IMG]

Edited to add: I've never used that type of roofing material. What size does it come in and what do you use to cut it? Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  7. joanm

May 13, 2007
    Hi woodlandwoman,

Thank you! the painting was done by my sis, she is the artist!

The roof is metal and I bought it local at a metal place and they cut it for me, it cost a little more but it was worth it. The sheets came in 3' x 8'.

I hope it won't be too hot for my chicks, but the coop in under a maple tree, so maybe that will help. I also have a water well for outside use and thought I could spray down the roof on blistering days, which is often!

I'm beginning to think I should have doubled the size too!

My sis and I moved it, but had to "walk it"

8. AussieShazz

AussieShazz New Egg

Jun 1, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Wow I absolutely love your coop. Well done. Can I please ask approx how much it cost to build? I would love to do something similar.

9. joanm

May 13, 2007
    thanks! [​IMG] I was about $180 or so - not much more than that. The roof was the most expensive, I paid $64 for the metal and that was to have it cut too. I had the paint so I didn't have to buy that.

10. AussieShazz

AussieShazz New Egg

Jun 1, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Thank you so much. I can't wait until hubby gets home. Poor guy has no idea what he's in for!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by