Coop Fire and flock is making wheezing/gurgling sounds.

Joycejaffee

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2015
Ridgefield, CT
It's bitter cold here in CT. A small fire filled the coop (barn sized) with thick noxious smoke this morning. I do not know how long the fire was going but a section of flooring and a part of the wall was burned through. It looked like perhaps it had been smoldering for quite some time.
I couldn't even see to the back of the coop -where 49 hens and roosters-mostly bantams-were huddled. I managed to get all out-where they spent the better part of the day outside in fresh but very cold 25 degree air. When found they were making a squeaking/moaning noise which I originally thought was simply stress. After some research-it looks like smoke inhalation is the cause of the sounds. Copious amounts of mucus is coming from the 9 large sized hens-with the wheezing sound-while most bantams are gurgling and sneezing. I brought them all into my garage as the sun was setting-put a humidifier on with Vicks in it, put a room heater in the garage, put antibiotic powder (I only had tetracycline) in the water-although no one is eating or drinking, and sprinkled some vet/Rx on their feathers. Is there anything else I can do? It's been 14 hours since rescue. All are resting -but still making horrible sounds on inhale and exhale. The large hens look to be struggling the most-although it could just be that they are the loudest. I would appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Greetings and welcome to BYC. .So sorry you're going through this... and sorry your chickens are too. Wish you and them the best.

"Smoke inhalation injuries predispose the airways to infection because of cellular injury, reduction of mucociliary clearance, and poor macrophage function. Acute bacterial colonization and invasion peaks at 2-3 days after smoke inhalation. Prophylactic antibiotics should not be used, as they are not only ineffective but increase the risk of emergence of resistant organisms.

Discerning secondary infection from the effects of inhalation injury can be very difficult because both may produce fever, elevated white blood cell counts, and abnormal radiography findings. Antimicrobial therapy should be reserved for patients with definitive microbiologic evidence of infection that is not responding to aggressive support therapy or when clinical deterioration occurs in the first 72 hours.

The most common organisms in secondary pneumonia after smoke inhalation injury are Staphylococcus aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Direct parenteral coverage with antibiotics to cover these bacteria if infection is suspected."
https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/771194-treatment

This was from the above article and based on human of course. That being said, the lungs of any air breathing creature work about the same way. Smoke inhalation would have basically the same effect. It sounds to me like you'll just have to watch them for a few days or more and assess the damage at that point. Some may not make it.

I'm so sorry to hear about this:hugs

It sounds like you are doing what you can. I would have suggested VetRx, but you already have that going. The Tetracycline may help with any infections brought on by the inhalation. I hate to say this, but only time will tell whether the worst ones recover or not. I agree with @Latestarter all you can do is wait, watch and hope for the best.

There could be a flock mentality of fear, whereby group fear is keeping them all in that same emotional space.

See if you can siphon off a couple of hens (a test group) for a few hours. Sit on the floor with them and put food in your hand. Slowly sprinkle some feed on the floor so they can see it falling. Put a handful in a round bowl and move the bowl so the feed rolls around and catches their eye.

This was how I was able to get my rooster eating again.

Hold a small bowl of water up to them and just wait and see what they do. Put the water in a clear glass bowl, then try a ceramic bowl. They have different reactions. Flick the water with your finger. They're curious creatures and have excellent vision. So make the food and water interesting and see what happens.

You have a large flock, so it's not realistic creating several small groups, I'm guessing. But do this just to see how they respond. Let them stay together for a day while you experiment and see if you can engage them enough to start eating and drinking on their own.

If that works, then maybe you can replicate it with some modifications on a larger scale for the entire flock.

But they're not just sick; they're traumatized. That's a tough one to work with and takes time, and it doesn't help that it's cold where you live.

Update: 36 hours in and thus far the whole crew is still with us. They're living in the garage which I've heated to 60 degrees. Still have the humidifier running with Vicks. All are still traumatized-as they are startled at every movement and my presence makes them uneasy. Watermelon and blueberries are soothing and are offering some hydration but regular food, scrambled eggs, and yogurt went largely ignored. All are sleeping with very loud wheezing and gurgling sounds. It's a chorus and so scary to hear so much fluid building in their lungs. Lots of sneezing as well. Does anyone have any wisdom on how to dry things up/help clear their airways?

A couple of people in the forums often recommend oregano oil in the humidifier. The VetRX on beaks and wattles is helpful, and then the oregano air borne.

Chickens do need excellent ventilation, especially a large flock. When you run the humidifier are you noticing condensation anywhere?

If you're able to without dangerous heat bulbs, I would increase the heat in the garage. Warmer would probably be better for congested chickens during winter, and it would offset the humidifier some.

Update: 36 hours in and thus far the whole crew is still with us. They're living in the garage which I've heated to 60 degrees. Still have the humidifier running with Vicks. All are still traumatized-as they are startled at every movement and my presence makes them uneasy. Watermelon and blueberries are soothing and are offering some hydration but regular food, scrambled eggs, and yogurt went largely ignored. All are sleeping with very loud wheezing and gurgling sounds. It's a chorus and so scary to hear so much fluid building in their lungs. Lots of sneezing as well. Does anyone have any wisdom on how to dry things up/help clear their airways?

If you can keep them hydrated that would be great. Watermelon does sound soothing, so at this point if that's what they will take for hydration go for it. You may find some runny/loose poop if they eat a lot of it (just so you know and don't panic over that).

I'm very sorry they are sounding scary. If there is any way you can consult a vet that would be a good idea - they may be able to give you some type bronchial medication or advise what you can find OTC. I'm just not sure what else you can try. Hopefully @Eggcessive may have better suggestions.

Thank you for the update, please keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom