Coop fire and injured chickens. Devastating.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Chickita, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Chicken Chickita

Chicken Chickita Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    I awakened to find my main coop and adjacent shed had burned in the night. We lost 12 adolescent tolbunt polish, 20 babies, and 15 adults. 2 singed slikies, 3 polish, and 2 banies made it out alive. The survivors and lethargic with singed feathers and some wounds. I would greatly appreciate any advice. I'm using "poultry aid" for wound spray. Also, I feel as if I should euthanize one of the babies. I'm devastated and numb. The fire department is still here.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, hugs and I'm so sorry!

3. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

I am a huge fan of Vetericyn. I started using it back when there were some HUGE fires in this area and I wanted to donate to help all the burned livestock coming in. I called my vet and asked his recommendation. Without hesitation he said "Vetericyn". I've been using it ever since. It's excellent for burns because it doesn't do further damage to the tissue. I used it on one of my hens last fall when a coyote tried to make her his dinner.
    so sorry for what you're going through. it must be awful.

4. Chicken Chickita

Chicken Chickita Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    Is Vetericyn the same spray bottle for pink eye? I have that.

5. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

No not the same. You want Vetericyn Skin & Wound Care Hydrogel. It's kinda odd.. it sprays on, then turns to a thicker gel so it coats the wound REALLY well. They have an opthalmic treatment, but that's for eyes. You want the wound care one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by