Coop fire. Help please.

l8ybud

Chirping
Feb 8, 2015
Kansas City, MO
We just had a coop fire and lost most of our pet chickens... It truly is heart breaking an has been a horrific Christmas day. Could you possibly tell us what you thought was the most helpful way to treat the wounds? Right now we have no coop for the survivors (4 out of 25).... We had to put down a few that had way to severe of wounds.

Any advise would help. My wife and I don't have kids. Chickens and dogs are our family. Please help.

Thank you,
Lane and Michelle

Bag balm is good for soothing the burns, but smoke inhalation is the big issue. Chickens have very delicate respiratory systems. Quite a few people around here are dealing with the same sort of loss this week due to coop fires.

My heart goes out to you. There's nothing more dreadful than losing precious chickens in a coop fire.

Treating the wounds is pretty standard for any open wounds. Keep them clean and moist so new tissue can grow in.

First, clean the open wounds with mild soap and water. Let dry and spray Vetericyn (encourages healing and tissue growth) on the wounds, Let dry and smooth on triple antibiotic ointment. I know the stores are all closed today, but feed stores and Wal-mart often carry the Vetericyn in the pet first aid sections. Get it first thing tomorrow and make do with just the ointment today.

Do this routine morning and night religiously, and new skin will grow in.

Again, cleaning twice a day and keeping the wounds moist with the ointment will keep infection at bay and encourage healing.

Do you suspect a heat lamp? Often these fires start when a flammable string or rope used to secure the lamp heats up to the point of combustion, then falls down into flammable bedding.

It was either a headlamp secured with a hook on the cord or the heated waterer.I really think it was the waterer. It was hanging as well, but when it was burning that was where the hole the chicken escaped from was.

So sorry to hear of your devastating loss. Silvadene ointment, obtained from a vet, is very good to use on burns.I would bring the remaining chicks inside to keep them warm if you have a basement or garage, and can use a ceramic heater safely secured. Every year it is difficult to read about so many accidental fires from heat lamps and other causes. I use electric heated dog bowls that just keep my water above freezing. On the coldest days in January, I do bring down and use heat lamps when it gets near zero, but it makes me nervous, even when they are secured well. Good luck with your remaining chickens, and take care.

What are the injuries like? Burns? Cuts? I'm so sorry about your chickens- mine are a huge part of our family to. I know this must be a really hard time for you, and I just want to reach out and give you guys big hugs, but, since obviously I can't do that, if there's anything I can do to help, just let me know. Also, I'm sure they were very lucky to have such caring owners as you two. And also, one last thing, this book really helped me when one of my chickens was sick, and it would probably be a big help to you guys, too- https://www.amazon.com/Chicken-Heal...qid=1482699937&sr=8-1&keywords=chicken+health.
Good luck, and please keep us updated!
-Ameraucanas

I am so sad to read this....this is the 4th coop fire in as many weeks reported here on BYC, and that's just the ones I've run into. There may well be others.

I wish I had some words of comfort and some advice for your surviving birds...on another thread there was a lot of advice and the consensus seems to be Silvadine, which is what I would have recommended as well. I'll post a link to that thread in case you can find something useful there in addition to what's been said here. Good luck with your birds. I hope you rebuild soon, and that the rest of your chicken adventures are far less traumatic.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...fire-chicken-care-advice-needed#post_17927765

Back
Top Bottom