1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. mamataaura

mamataaura New Egg

Oct 21, 2008
    We had a red light in the coop for heat, and they somehow knocked it down last night, and the straw ignited! Luckily, we got out there as soon as we heard them, and put the fire out. Some of them got their feathers burned, and they all inhaled a lot of smoke. They sounded more like puppies crying than chickens. We couldn't calm them down at all...they everntually wnet back to sleep. So now today some seem pretty normal, and some are really acting strange. Most of them are closing their eyes a lot today. One just stands there with her head back opening and closing her beak. My husband thinks she might not be able to see. Any advise on dealing with chickens who appear to be in shock? [​IMG]

2. woolypiglets

woolypiglets New Egg

Aug 24, 2008
    I have no help for you, but man, am I sorry this happened to you and your chickens. [​IMG]

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    She probably got smoke in her eyes. You could try rinsing them out with natural eye drops, not the kind that sting! Does she walk around at all? This was a very traumatic event for them too, make sure they are warm and secure.

4. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    I don't have an answer, but I am so sorry to hear about it and hope they are all okay! Keep a close eye on them and give them a few extra treats for sure!

5. mcg30_40

mcg30_40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    alabama
    wow! So sorry to hear that but I'm glad you were able to get out there so quickly.

6. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    stress does a lot also to a bird.

we had this happen to us, you really need to tie up those heat lights it is so dangerous

7. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    If you're anywhere near a health food store or "Herb shop", go and get "Rescue Remedy" drops. They're homeopathic, usually used on people who have had traumatic experiences or accidents, but work great on pets and other animals (we used to have a dog who was scared to death of thunderstorms, and when we finally found out about Rescue Remedy, it changed his life). Just put them into their water (they could obviousely all use some). Good luck!

8. mamataaura

mamataaura New Egg

Oct 21, 2008
    We just let them out to roam the yard a bit...I was hesitant, but my husband thought they would like it...the ones that are more traumatized are just staying in their run, but most of them are happy to be out eating up all my chard...the one I talked about being most worried about is just staying in one place, not walking at all...my husband has been giving her a little water from a bottle, but I doubt she's eaten anything. I like the rescue remedy idea, I am very familiar with flower essences, as well as homoepathy. I had thought to give her aconite, but was waiting to see what would happen today. I think I will try it.

9. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

You were really lucky that could have turned out a lot worse... How did the light fall in the first place?

10. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* OMGOSH!! POOR CHICKEES!! Some of them probably have smoke inhalation, but you know that, I'm sure. What a terribly scary thing for all of you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by