Coop fix attempt unsuccessful (pic of 95% finished product page 2)

bzbrown

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Twentynine Palms, California
We totally screwed up today. When I say WE I really mean me lol. My "vision" and reality were not on the same page. Our coop is so tall, when we attempted to raise it higher off the ground we realized there was no way it was going to happen without a gust of wind (and we get plenty) toppling it over. I think raising it 6 inches higher would have been possible, but we went for a whole 2.5 feet off the ground, with a coop that was built piece by piece rather than as a box style lol... No good. Chicks had to hang out in an extra large dog kennel today, and will probably have to most of tomorrow while we fix what was messed up, and then enclose the whole thing...

So plan B. Enclose the coop to keep the bad guys out and the good guys in. We will expand the run area about 2-3 feet in width. And perhaps my husband will send a poster with my face on it to Home Depot telling them not to sell me anymore wood without a note of approval from him LOL. I have seriously bought about $400 worth of wood and hardware in the past month that I visualized for something either garden or coop/run related and it's piling up because reality and my visions don't add up :) good thing he loves me...

Last edited:
Quote:
Sounds really familiar !
lau.gif
Cause it's happening here too . I should have bought stock shares of Lowes a year ago , maybe I would have broken even .

Ok! I made the home depot trip this morning. Then this afternoon, I made another home depot trip. LOL. THEN on my way home (we're 20 miles from HD) the husband called and said we didn't have enough hardwire to finish enclosing, however at that time I had already left HD with not enough hardwire to finish the job, and was pulling back into the neighborhood.

Long story short. We got about 3/4 of the coop run enclosed! YAY! Chicks are still in XL dog kennel until tonight and not happy about it lol. I made use of some of my random extra wood making a planter box to fit all the extra seedlings I bought in one of my 4 home depot trips (in the last 24 hours) lol.

Tomorrow. HE is going to home depot to get the remainder of the hardwire, if I go I will come back with more seedlings for which I have no room to plant lol (but plenty of wood to build more above ground planters). WE will finish the coop, and the big chicks move in tomorrow afternoon, then we're going fishing....

This coop has gone way over budget but we will have very happy comfy and SAFE chickens by the end of the weekend.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom