Coop floor black jack rubber coat #57

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kitten4686, Mar 5, 2016.

1. kitten4686

kitten4686 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2016
    Southern Illinois
    Can someone tell me if you can use the black jack rubber coat under the recommended temperature? Need to get floor done so I can get my babies out of the house lol[​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! What lovely chicks you have there :D I think black jack rubber coat is not something we have over here in England but I see you have posted in the coop section. I'm sure members there will be able to help you.

Wishing you the very best of luck getting them moved. Enjoy BYC :frow

4. kitten4686

Mar 3, 2016
    Southern Illinois
    Thanks this is a awesome place for advice and tips!:)

5. pfields

pfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you going to use something over the blackjack? The reason I ask is that we painted it on the floor of our coop over chipboard and it made the floor feel like a million sharp splinters when it dried, so we put cheap vinyl flooring over it then I also use wood chips over that. We had also painted the roost (2x4) boards with it and the same thing happen. We had to sand and sand to get it smooth.

6. kitten4686

Mar 3, 2016
    Southern Illinois

Yes 4"- 5" deep of pine shavings.... so they would really have to dig deep if it does splinter but I don't think it will the floor had already been painted we got a pretty built barn
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

The recommend minimum temperature is 50°F and I personally would not use it bellow that, as the manufacture set that minimum temp for a valid reason, not as an inconvenience... Also note the cure time is 7-14 days at the recommend temp, Even if it cures at lower temp it could take 3 or more weeks, IMO or worse case fail to cure at all and then you have a big mess on your hands...

At the very least if you must push it the temps need to be above freezing or else you risk crystallization that will almost certainly result in a failed or inferior curing process, but I would not even consider pushing it at all since they set the 50°F value...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. pfields

pfields Chillin' With My Peeps

You should be fine in regards to splinters if it has already been painted. We painted ours in Dec. but it's not that cold here on the Texas coast. We also painted it up the walls about a foot.

I just noticed your walls are metal so you wouldn't need to do that.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  9. kitten4686

Mar 3, 2016
    Southern Illinois

LOL... walls not metal now just put up osb today :)

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope It all turns out right for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by