Coop floor question (SAND, DLM)?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TaylorCS78, Feb 8, 2011.

1. TaylorCS78

TaylorCS78 New Egg

Jan 31, 2011
    Well...I'm a newbie so bare with me and my stupid questions. I started building my coop off of one of my sheds and so far have it completly framed up all that is left is nest boxes. The coop is 10x12 (120sqft) and I plan on having approximately 10 chickens and 1 rooster to start along with 6 nest boxes.

When I was setting the coop up I did not frame out a floor. I was planning on using Sand and or DLM on dirt. Thoughts/suggestions? Did I screw up here or what? Good news is I built the coop so that if I need to frame out a floor I can easily with the existing structure in place.

I plan on picking up my chickens within the next 7-10 days: Orpington's, Dorking, Wyandottes, White Barred Rock

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've had 4 or 5 different flocks over the years and never used anything but dirt floors and deep litter. Wouldn't have it any other way. I have no problem with the poop drying into the dirt or the litter, which is removed only when needed for composting, usually twice a year. Very open air coop and no odor. I never pick up poop, just throw hay or pine shavings on it. But my coop is large, 11X17 for 13 adult birds. Extra hatched roos are eaten.

Really depends on how you are about cleaning. Some people would never be happy unless they had a linoleum floor they could hose out weekly. If I had to do that I'd get rid of my chickens. Personal choice.

I've never used sand but from what I read it's the easiest if you intend to scoop up the poop.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    BTW, welcome, and there are no stupid questions. One can only search and research so much before it's time to make a thread. I'm probably in the minority here with my poop management, so I hope others chime in. Mine is kinda the old fashioned method, I think.

4. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    If water seeps into the dirt floor, don't use deep litter - it'll stink to high heaven! I'd use sand on a damp dirt floor.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of your preference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by