coop floor question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blueseal, Jan 22, 2009.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    my new chicken barn will be finished tommorow . the floor was made out of 2x8 spruce planking. do i need to treat the boards with a water reppellant or will it be alright the way it is.just wondering if it will rot from the chicken poo over time thats all. it will have pine shavings on the floor . anyone have any suggestions.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't think it will rot with shavings on it. But you should be able to use a wood preservative on it. My floor is plywood, and has no rot.

3. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:thanks for the info.

4. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I'd seal it with something...the moist shavings etc would eventually rot the wood. Some people just throw down those cheap, stick down linoleum tiles to protect the floor and make cleaning easier. I went with earthen floor to help with the deep litter method.

5. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    i covered my floor wtih inexpensive linoleum. That way I can just sweep the pine shavings I got at the store out the door and no harm to the floor.

6. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i usually clean every two weeks should i still treat the floor

7. BrackenFarms

BrackenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    if you used 2x8s then you could easily do a deep litter method... i do... i used a 6 in base of river sand which also keeps from having to use grit... its also cheaper than buying shaving all the time

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2009
  8. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    My thoughts are that with deep litter and regular cleaning, no need to treat.

9. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    If you want your floor to last longer, definitely treat it. It's relatively easy and cheap. Why wouldn't you?

10. Kansas Chicken Mama

Kansas Chicken Mama Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2008
    St. Paul
    I love my linoleum floor. Very cheap, about $14 for an 8x8 and SO easy to clean. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by