coop floor question

supadave

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
South Louisiana
Has anyone ever used elastomeric paint to coat the floor of a coop. It is supposed to be waterproof and forms a thick coating. Im not sure about the toxicity though. any comments or suggestions welcome. Thanks, Dave

Last edited:
Never heard of it but my concern would be the hens pulling at it or picking at it and it coming lose and them ingesting it?? Just a thought. I know mine pick and poke at my floor (even thought I have tons of shavings down) all the time and do end up getting specks of wood up.

Like a truck bed liner product such as Herculiner? My guess is that once it cures, it would essentially be inert. It would almost certainly have to be, because if it wasn't, water and sun would break it down over time. Less than $100 for a pail, but you can buy it is quart sizes.

You're talking about the "Snow Roof" type stuff typically meant to seal travel trailers? I've have used it. It holds up VERY well. The first several coop I built I used it on the floors and walls, but to be honest, the floors never really get wet if you're doing DLM correctly, and a good quality porch paint is more than adequate for walls. I stopped painting coop interiors some time ago, I just don't see the advantage honestly. My current coop is T-111 and I didn't paint the inside. It's holding up just as well as my other coop with the painted interior.

I'm sure you could, but since plain paint works just FINE unless you are doing something strange with your coop management, it's not clear to me that there'd be much POINT to pricey stuff like that?

JMHO,

Pat

thanks all, I would just like to be able to wash it out with a hose once or twice a year. I figured that I could coat the floor and about 1 foot up the wall.

Back
Top Bottom