coop floor wire/mesh surface?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kellieetal, Oct 13, 2012.

1. kellieetal

kellieetal Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2012
    I've seen lots of coops in books with wire mesh or chicken wire as all or part of the floor on the coop--unless I'm misunderstanding the plans. I can envision the wire mesh, but not the chicken wire. Wouldn't the chicken wire for a floor (to let the droppings fall through to the garden/grass) be awfully hard on their feet? And wouldn't either of those choices (the mesh or the chicken wire) be pretty chilly in winter?
    Related, I've also seen or heard of a portable tractor run with apparently no bottom. Um...wouldn't that be very easy for predator attacks if the wire mesh doesn't extend down into the ground a foot or so? But if it does go under the ground, then how is it still mobile? Maybe these tractors do have a chicken wire floor as well, but again, wouldn't that be A) hard on their feet, B) inhibit their ability to scratch in the dirt. ??? All these things seem to be so well discussed in books, and yet I still have so many questions. [​IMG]

2. Chicks on DL

Chicks on DL Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    West Coast, Florida.
    You are right. A tractor without a wire bottom does leave them vulnerable. However, if your tractor has a roost area that has a solid bottom and a door that you close at night, then they can scratch and be secure at night. After an attack at night by a predator (completely my fault for not closing the door), we installed an auto door and added a mesh bottom. Ours free range the backyard all day an spend little time on the wire bottom but also the grass sticking through I am sure pads it for them.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  3. kellieetal

kellieetal Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2012
    ohhhh okay. ty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by