Coop floor

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
I’m making a new coop with plywood as the floor but i’m looking for an inexpensive protective layer i can put over the plywood. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I’m making a new coop with plywood as the floor but i’m looking for an inexpensive protective layer i can put over the plywood. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I used two coats of Behr Porch and Floor paint and it's holding up great.
I keep all the water in the run.

Yes. Don't put a floor on your coop. Dirt. Deep litter. Done.

(Obviously not a solution if you are building a raised coop)

I also have a raised coop, I built it with Hardie Board, even the floor. and I use deep bedding in it - not enough moisture from the chickens to soak thru to damage it, and the rare water spill dries pretty quickly. The floor is not even painted. Lumber prices being what they are, may be cheaper than plywood (albeit not as much as it was a couple months ago).

Yes. Don't put a floor on your coop. Dirt. Deep litter. Done.

(Obviously not a solution if you are building a raised coop)

I also have a raised coop, I built it with Hardie Board, even the floor. and I use deep bedding in it - not enough moisture from the chickens to soak thru to damage it, and the rare water spill dries pretty quickly. The floor is not even painted. Lumber prices being what they are, may be cheaper than plywood (albeit not as much as it was a couple months ago).
Our coop is going to be 4 inches off the ground (2x4) so we want to put a floor in because it’s easier for us. We plan on doing a deep litter method but we still need a floor

Honestly, I'd skip the floor, and either set the coop on pressure treated lumber on the ground, set the coop on a concrete perimiter foundation (still need PT - the concrete will wick moistur out of the ground) - or if its supported on legs of some sort, use metal skirting (hardware cloth) to provide predator protection, and call it done.

Otherwise, you not only need lumber for the floor, but also lumber for the floor joists, there will be no airflow under there, it will attract mold/mildew underneath, and you can't service it - or even see it. Oh, and its a popular place, if there is any gap at all, for mice and snakes to hide out.

Our coop is going to be 4 inches off the ground (2x4) so we want to put a floor in because it’s easier for us. We plan on doing a deep litter method but we still need a floor
Deep litter favors having the coop on the ground so it can compost via ground and moisture contact. Are you sure that's what you're intending, or is it deep bedding?

I use Black Jack 57 in my coop, it seals up small crevices and waterproofs the wood, plus it stands up to even metal objects like rakes and paint scrapers without a problem, which is nice for coop cleanouts: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/black-jack-rubr-coat-57-for-your-coop-floor.75145/

Deep litter favors having the coop on the ground so it can compost via ground and moisture contact. Are you sure that's what you're intending, or is it deep bedding?

I use Black Jack 57 in my coop, it seals up small crevices and waterproofs the wood, plus it stands up to even metal objects like rakes and paint scrapers without a problem, which is nice for coop cleanouts: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/black-jack-rubr-coat-57-for-your-coop-floor.75145/
It’s hard to explain but we will have a floor made of plywood with some sort of protection over the plywood and then pine shavings over that.

It’s hard to explain but we will have a floor made of plywood with some sort of protection over the plywood and then pine shavings over that.
Deep litter is a composting system that needs some moisture and favors ground contact in order to get microbes to help break down the litter.

In the coop I use deep bedding (sorta), which is a thicker amount of dry litter and is not intended to compost in place. When I do cleanouts I rake the coop litter into the run, which then becomes deep litter in the run as moisture, insects, microbes, and additional organic matter combine to help break down the poop.

Hope that helps explain the difference?

Deep litter is a composting system that needs some moisture and favors ground contact in order to get microbes to help break down the litter.

In the coop I use deep bedding (sorta), which is a thicker amount of dry litter and is not intended to compost in place. When I do cleanouts I rake the coop litter into the run, which then becomes deep litter in the run as moisture, insects, microbes, and additional organic matter combine to help break down the poop.

Hope that helps explain the difference?
Yes deep bedding... i thought it was the same

Back
Top Bottom