Coop floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Royce, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Royce

Royce New Egg

Nov 22, 2010
    Am following a design in "small coops". It does not discuss the floor of the coop. What should I use - dirt, concrete, patio blocks or????? Thanks for all the help so far - it is appreciated.

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:See my BYC page for pics of my Coop which has been in use for over 15 years with the Deep litter Method on a sub-ground level dirt floor. The composting litter adds heat during the winter and provides excellent fertilizer for the garden in the spring. Note: The composting litter does not touch wood, only the brick foundation and the dirt floor.

3. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    In the beginning I used pine shavings over the wood floor but then switched to river sand in my coop and run and it is fabulous...easy to clean, poo dries quickly with the addition of some DE.

4. bmasters

bmasters Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    I'm a newbie and have seen the term DE used many times on this site. What exactly is DE referring to?

Bill

5. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I think the blocks.

6. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    DE is Diatomaceous Earth, a natural insect repellent that keeps mights, lice, and fleas off your chickens.

7. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    Quote:Be sure to only use FOOD GRADE DE as others are caustic. Very important.

8. bmasters

bmasters Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    Thanks to all of you on this site . I'm in the process of building my coop and I'm learning more every day.

Bill

9. motoclown

motoclown Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    New Castle, PA
    Is this food grade........
    [​IMG]

How much to throw down in a 8x8 coop/with pine shavings?

10. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    Quote:Hm... I'm not sure I would trust that stuff. Have you tried your local feed store? I got mine there- a huge bag of it. Should specifically say food-grade.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by