Coop floor

Royce

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 22, 2010
Am following a design in "small coops". It does not discuss the floor of the coop. What should I use - dirt, concrete, patio blocks or????? Thanks for all the help so far - it is appreciated.

Quote:
See my BYC page for pics of my Coop which has been in use for over 15 years with the Deep litter Method on a sub-ground level dirt floor. The composting litter adds heat during the winter and provides excellent fertilizer for the garden in the spring. Note: The composting litter does not touch wood, only the brick foundation and the dirt floor.

In the beginning I used pine shavings over the wood floor but then switched to river sand in my coop and run and it is fabulous...easy to clean, poo dries quickly with the addition of some DE.

I'm a newbie and have seen the term DE used many times on this site. What exactly is DE referring to?

Bill

Thanks to all of you on this site . I'm in the process of building my coop and I'm learning more every day.

Bill

Is this food grade........
072845931863lg.jpg

How much to throw down in a 8x8 coop/with pine shavings?

Quote:
Hm... I'm not sure I would trust that stuff. Have you tried your local feed store? I got mine there- a huge bag of it. Should specifically say food-grade.

Back
Top Bottom