Coop Floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 5peeps, May 2, 2008.

1. 5peeps

5peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Winterset Iowa
    Hello ,
    I have some old vinyl flooring and was thinking about doing the floor and sides of the coop to make it easier to clean is there any reason I shouldn't use it can it hurt them ,will they eat it .

Thanks
    The Newbie

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Lots of people on this site have done vinyl flooring in their coops. I have it on the back behind the roosting area. Sure makes clean up lots easier.

3. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    From what I've heard from other people and other sites, I'm planning on adding the same flooring to my coop.

4. Adri

Adri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Oh, I was thinking of using some too. I'm hoping to find some in the miscut or end roll section, but even if I don't it is still less than a dollar a sq ft. Definitely worth it for the luxury of easier clean ups. I'm thinking that I should install it so that it goes up the wall several inches to keep the corners from getting gross.

5. 5peeps

5peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Winterset Iowa
    Quote:You can get the plain precut Vinyl Tile squares for pretty cheap at home depot or most local hardware or flooring stores .

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We bought a linoleum remnant for $15.00. It was enough to cover the floor and we ran it up the wall about 12", of the playhouse coop (floor dimensions are roughtly 78" x 62"). I'd like to do the other two coop floors this way, also.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!

Dawn

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  7. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I really like the idea of running it up the wall as well. Thank you for that idea! I am now planning on adding that to my coop.

8. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

I use a tarp, just couldnt find any cheap linoleum. Works perfectly!!!

9. stilwellchick

stilwellchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2007
    Stilwell, KS
    The sides of the coop really should not get dirty, don't need to worry about keeping the walls clean. Vinyl on the floor is great, makes clean up easy. I might be concerned that vinyl walls would make it very hot in there in the summer months.

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I use a tarp, just couldnt find any cheap linoleum. Works perfectly!!!

So do you leave the tarp lose or how did you attach it?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by