1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop Floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by joebok, Sep 5, 2008.

1. joebok

joebok New Egg

Sep 5, 2008
    Vashon Island
    I am new to chickens - just made a coop to house 3 barred plymouth rocks. I have a question on the flooring. My goal was to make a coop that was easy to clean - I thought droppings boards would be a good way to go. So I have 3 removable sections of parallel 1x2s with space in between for the stuff to fall through.

That is fine - my question is - can this be the floor (open to air below), or do I need a "subfloor" that the droppings boards will sit on?

I live near Seattle, Washington. We don't have very cold winters here - except every once in a while we get a couple days of freezing weather. Every book I read says you need a coop that is well ventilated but not drafty. In practical terms - does that mean you need a closed floor, or would a wire/droppings board floor that is open to air be okay?

Many thanks for any insights!

Joe

2. 3 sisters farm

3 sisters farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    puyallup wa
    That would be hard to clean, solid covered with remnat linoleom would be easier.....we get so wet here I need to change bedding regularly, and water would seek in from underneath....at least where I am. I'm new too but its fairly cheap to get scraplinoleum...check out new development...do ask first...I got a 4 by 6 scrap one small cut...will do the bottom....for free. Try freecycle and craiglist as well. What chickens do you have.

3. orbirdman

orbirdman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    oregon
    im also new here but built/building a draft free coop. i just went to home depot and bought leftover linoleum for $10 plus the glue at $4 dollars. i have enough to recover twice if necessary.
    i left the rafters open so air circulates. we get strong winds out of the gorge and im going to orient the coop to take advantage of that.
    we got the roofing and hardie plank siding off of freecycle.com.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    joebok, I use wire under my roosts and the poop falls through the wire.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by