Coop floor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Meg09, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Meg09

Meg09 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2013
    What do you have, and what type of floor do you reccomend?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    What type of coop are you constructing? Are you looking at a tractor style, a walk-in large coop, a small coop that is only accessible to the birds and you access things from outside?
    Our coop is a large, walk-in coop and has a solid wood floor which is bedded over with pine shavings.

3. Meg09

Meg09 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2013
    We are in construction ( FINALLY) it's a walk in 10 by 12 coop, (walk in) it will eventually have a fenced run, but the birds will also be allowed outside/free range. I was thinking about sealing the wood floor then using straw or pine shavings.

4. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    I put some cheap vinyl on mine, will make it easier to clean being a smooth surface. Check your local 'building salvage' places or floor installation dealers and see if they have any remnants. I paid less than $.50 a foot for mine

1 person likes this.
  5. ConPollos

ConPollos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2015
    I want to use linoleum on my floor, but I'm also wondering if floor paint would work just as well and be cheaper. I'm also wondering if predators can dig up through the plywood floor, and if so I will put hardware cloth on it, and line the walls with it. I'm sure my dogs can chew right through the walls if they want to.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  6. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I painted mine with porch floor paint. It takes a long time to dry but holds up really well to the cleaning and scraping.

7. ConPollos

Mar 21, 2015
    Thank you. I'm glad I can just paint it. If I cover it with hardware cloth, will that make it too hard to clean and scrape it?

8. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    It would do two things.
    1. It would be a danger to the feet of the hens. Think of hopping down off the roost and landing on the wire. (even with shavings the wire would get exposed at times)

2. It would have way to many placed for poo to get stuck and be near impossible to clean properly.

9. ConPollos

Mar 21, 2015

Good points. Do predators dig up through wood floor that are on the ground?

10. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    So far not here in my coop. I am in town though. We do have fox and raccoon and have not had much of an issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by