Coop Flooring need help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by michele45, Mar 20, 2011.

1. michele45

michele45 New Egg

Jul 3, 2009
    Redoing our coop this year after a weasel took all of my babies. We are thinking of putting down concrete. What do you think? Any other suggestions?[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  2. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    Concrete can hold stains - odors. Are you going to cover it with linoleum or some such product? Seal it?

3. michele45

michele45 New Egg

Jul 3, 2009
    We could? Last year the Linoleoum did not hold up.

4. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have a wire (chicken wire or hardware cloth) skirt buried around the outside? I have about 3 feet of wire with a row of paving blocks right next to the coop. Predators are not smart enough to start digging 3 feet from the building/run.

5. duluthmom

duluthmom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    We were concerned about vermin coming up through the floor system in our new wood framed coop - so when we built, we stapled 1/4" hardware cloth on top of the treated floor joist. Then we put down 1 1/2" of rigid insulation with green treated plywood over that and finally some rubber roofing ( free from a local roofing contractor) stapled down and flashed up the walls about 6 inches. So far - nothing has come through.

6. SlowRiverFarms

SlowRiverFarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2011
    Rescue, CA
    We use a linoleum covered plywood floor. Our coop is actually elevated 2'-3' above the ground, and all gaps and windows covered with 1/4" hardware cloth. By elevating we reduced vermin & critters in the coop, provide shade for the flock (and the goats love it as well), and very easy to just sweep out into a wheelbarrow for composting.

If you use concrete I would highly recommend a thick sealer otherwise it will stain and smell. Also, concrete can keep a coop really cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by