Coop flooring. What do you use and why does it work?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kiwiegg, Apr 8, 2012.

1. kiwiegg

kiwiegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Minnesota
    I'm trying to figure out what to do for flooring in my 8x8 walk in. The deep litter method sounds good but I really like the idea of the poop trays people use (shallow removeable tray under roost) What would the rest of the floor be? Plywood? I thought of FRP (plastic paneling) on floor but imagine the hens would be skating all over the place. Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

2. mhart5067

mhart5067 Out Of The Brooder

I have a plywood floor but it's covered with linoleum. You could probably get a cheap end of roll at any flooring store. It's very easy to clean and the chickens have no problem walking on it even when it's covered in hay

3. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    I am planning to build a very small coop and I plan to put down some leftover vinyl flooring I saved from someone's remodeling job. It should help with the clean-up and moisture.

4. x2
    I am getting ready to switch to this with river sand as bedding. I would still use a poop try though, when I put mine in this year it made a world of difference. I will never go without one again.

5. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had plywood w/poopboard and dirt w/o poopboard in the past, both covered in pine shavings. I've found that dirt and using the deep litter method much easier to keep up and way less odor, actually, almost zero odor. The coop I just finished is dirt floor. Won't have one any other way now.

6. kiwiegg

Jul 7, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thank you for the input! People with poop trays seem to be very happy. The FRP is textured and is not that much different to walk on that linoleum. It would last a lot longer and can be hosed/scrubbed easily. Could it work? If I put that or linoleum down would I still need shavings, straw etc on that for the hens?

7. kiwiegg

Jul 7, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thanks kdk,I was writing while you posted. Interesting that u found deep litter less work less smell....this is a hard decision!

8. yes...whatever flooring system you have you will need some kind of litter even if you have a poop board.

Dirt floors almost always go with the deep litter method (the only practical solution impo for dirt floors), any other floor most people go with litter (pine shavings) or river sand (rougher sand with very small pebbles in it).
    Shavings are warm in the winter and easier to do total clean outs...... sand can be a bit cold but you can spend 10 minutes or less a day scooping the poo out and spend a lot less money per year only replacing the little sand lost. Sand usually will keep a coop dryer as well.

9. Daisy8s

Daisy8s Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Central Michigan
    I posted a thread with results after using the deep litter method a few days ago. You can search for it by typing in "results of deep litter method after one year" or something like that and read the details of how I prepped the dirt/gravel floor.

I am extremely sensitive to smells and actually got rid of my chickens 5 years ago because I couldn't handle the smell. When I started up again a year ago it was after much research. I chose the deep litter method and love both that it doesn't smell and that it's so dang easy. You can't beat 15 minutes of maintenance every 4-6 weeks plus one big clean up a year.

But, some people enjoy their time in the coop scooping poop. It's part of their interaction with their chickens and doesn't bother them at all. If you're this kind of person and are sure that you'll never be too busy for this chore then this is a fine option, also.

10. kiwiegg

Jul 7, 2009
    Minnesota
    Cheers Daisy! What's NOT to like about the coop not smelling and being low maintenance! So I figure pine shavings on plywood is OK or should I put down an easier cleaned surface for under the pine?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by