Coop flooring-What kind is in yours?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mommysongbird, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    I read that some people put those self-stick linoleum tiles down in their coops, has anyone tried this and had success with continued sticking??

My husband doesn't think it will work because of the colder months, he beleives that the tiles will peel up.

Just need some feed back. Also, how did you prepare your wood surface for this?

2. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    I don't know anyone who's had success with self-stick tiles ANYwhere. [​IMG] I used sheet vinyl, but only because I had a bunch of it lying around taking up space.

3. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Mine is a vinyl sheet over plywood flooring. It cleans very well.

4. lfreem2

lfreem2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Waxhaw, NC
    Sheet vinyl over plywood here too. I did not glue it down in case I'd have to rip it up in a few years. Just strategically nailed it down with a few roofing nails and it's stayed put. Super easy to clean indeed!

5. RThomas

RThomas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    Coop flooring-What kind is in yours?

Dirt.​

6. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Hmm, I know we have or had a fairly large sheet of vinyl flooring lying around here somewhere, I will try to find it. I do know that we have those self stick ones, about a half a box or more. I could just lie those on the floor and put a few nails on the corners?? I figure out something, just trying to think ahead about cleaning and make it as easy as possible for a 9 year old, well mom will help. [​IMG]

7. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:Dirt.

HaHa [​IMG]

Our run will be grass/dirt, but the coop won't. [​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

In my two main coops, I have vinyl sheet over plywood. In the smaller coops, those are kits and have pull out trays of metal, wood, or plastic, to hold the pine shavings.

9. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    i did the vynal squares, out of 12, 9 are still sticking, the other 4 that wame up never really stuck well in the first place. I would do a whole sheet of vynal next time, now to do it I have to totally clean the coop out so no stray shavings get underneath.

10. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

the best , dirt
    Quote:Dirt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by