coop flooring

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by markjak, Oct 5, 2015.

1. markjak

markjak Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2015
    I am about to convert my chicken run into a coop as they are never in it always out in garden it currently has a slabbed floor covered with sharp sand which is so easy to clean would it be ok to leave the slabs as the coop floor and continue to use the sharp sand on the floor which would after conversion be the coop floor.
    any thought's appreciated thank you

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I don't see why not. Personally, my coop is a garden shed and it has a concrete slab floor. As my chickens free range, i do not put anything on the floor. I find it very easy to sweep and scrub out.

CT

3. markjak

Aug 28, 2015
    Whats it like in winter cold wise thanks

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Cant really help you on that one as i live in Nairobi, Kenya - no winters here thank goodness!

5. CoocoChik

CoocoChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    just see your post about this ...

what i have done for my coop is plastic flooring ( i used the same thing sign makers have - corrugated plastic sheets) i have done this after seen how much work is to clean any other type -- and the poop if it does stick is a breeze to scrape it clean and using wood shaving instead of hay or sand ( specially in winter-- can't wait to go back to a nice NO snow area)

I painted the inside also - walls and inside roof

Joe

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  6. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Mine is wooden that is painted with porch and floor paint. I use pine shavings that I compost when I clean the coop out. It has held up well and gives no place for crawling bugs to hide. Works for us.

7. barneveldrerman

barneveldrerman Chillin' With My Peeps

It should be ok to keep the slabs. My coop flooring is concrete. I use pine shavings for mine though. As for winter I don't know, it should be fine. I live where there is little rain and coldness.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What are the 'slabs' made of?
    Can you post a pic?

9. pfields

pfields Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a wooden floor painted with Blackjack, covered with a cheap vinyl and then we put shavings. It's easy to clean since they free range during the day. When I clean the poop boards each morning if I see any poo on the shavings I just pick it up with my gloves, it goes in a bucket and then it's thrown in the compost bin. When the bin gets full, like yesterday, my dad came over with his tractor and scooped it out for his garden.

10. markjak

Aug 28, 2015
    Not got a pic at mo as I'm away but just regular street paving slabs with cement between

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by