1. redheadscheep

redheadscheep Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2015
    Mt Eden, KY
    I have a friend that can get a lot of paper dots (like what you would get out of a hole puncher). I had put some out in the coop only on the floor and they had eaten some. Does anyone know if it's ok that I use these for the coop floor? I'm guessing it won't hurt them because they are all ok. I just don't want to put a bunch in there and if it end up hurting them.

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hey redheadscheep

I confess to not hearing of paper being used before so went for a look-see.

I could not find anything on the smaller dots from a hole punch but I did find a thread that you might be interested to read:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/299985/can-i-use-shredded-paper

General consensus seemed to be that it did not last long, got dirty and smelly and needed replacing often.

Personally, I think the small dots might be a PITA when it came time to clean the coop? Sorry, no idea if eating lots of it would be harmful and hopefully someone else will chime in on that one.

3. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

I use pine shavings on the floor, minimum 6 inches. I add as necessary, and clean it out once per year.

I use shredded paper in the nesting boxes exclusively. Works very well for me. The eggs come out clean, worst possible situation, I peel some paper off them. Been doing so for over 9 years now.

Birds do eat the paper.

It doesn't seem to affect them at all. I shred mainly my junk mail and bills. As such, I have full control over the paper I shred for them.

I replace a handful or two once a month or so. The shredded paper seems to disappear.

As I said, they will eat it.

I have seen them eat a lot worse.

Hope this helps.

4. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    They'll eat wood shavings as well, so the eating of bedding isn't exclusive to paper (mine are very picky about eating only the shavings right outside the egg box.) [​IMG]

I think as long as they aren't eating an excessive amount of bedding it's probably ok. Not sure how well paper dots would work as coop flooring but as long as the chickens aren't eating it all, you can try it for a while and see if it works for you. I think if you get a lot of moisture in your coop (i.e. the subfloor is dirt and you get lots of rain) the dots will turn into mush very quickly, but maybe it'd be ok in a dry environment.

5. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice you have a supply! I would mix it in with other materials, such as leaves, pine shavings, yard rakings, etc, to use it. I throw my shredded paper in the coop and run and the girls redistribute it for me. But there are lots of other materials in the coop and run so the paper disappears rather quickly...

6. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    Whatever you put in it shouldn't mat easily. I would thing the particles were NOT a good choice. They are so small that I believe the will mat up and not aerate well.

I think hay is great on a dirt floor. 12" thick. throw a handful of scratch in there every day or so and they will keep it turned and composting.

Straw can cause respiratory problems. Dry leaves, pine needles and hay are my favorite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by