Coop for 40 chickens

Peep Nerd

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 21, 2013
I need help planning a new coop. It needs to be very secure as we have foxes, raccoons, and rats. :(
Does anyone have any ideas? I'm at my wits end!
~Suzy

Hi Suzy! :frow

I can't think of the style name... but if I were going with a new building I would do the 3 sided open end, with a completely open 1/2 in hardware cloth, sandwich screwed not stapled, on ALL openings. It should be just as predator proof as anything else, but completely solves ventilation problems which oddly are KEY in extra cold climates.

Sounds like you have the gauntlet of predators... and rats are NOT the least of these. I've seen WAY too much recent posts about rats eating chicks and full grown hens ALIVE! :barnie

I know the coop style I am describing IS listed under the learning/article section here on BYC. Sorry I can't be more exact, but hope it helps anyways. :fl

What are you looking for, ways to secure the coop against predators or a general design?
If you're looking for security measures, hardware cloth is your best bet. A cat (or two) will be helpful against the rats.
If you're looking for designs, we'll need information on the climate you live in, your handiness and your budget (just a word of warning there, sticking to the budget when building a coop is uncommon, plan on spending at least double your initial budget).

Last edited:
The full sized Woods Coop at 10' x 16' was intended to house 40 birds. If it fits your climate, it would be hard to beat. It is the real deal chicken house design dating back about 100 years.
If this is to be permanent, a cement slab floor will solve a lot of problems with rats and digging predators.

Hi Suzy! :frow

I can't think of the style name... but if I were going with a new building I would do the 3 sided open end, with a completely open 1/2 in hardware cloth, sandwich screwed not stapled, on ALL openings. It should be just as predator proof as anything else, but completely solves ventilation problems which oddly are KEY in extra cold climates.

Sounds like you have the gauntlet of predators... and rats are NOT the least of these. I've seen WAY too much recent posts about rats eating chicks and full grown hens ALIVE! :barnie

I know the coop style I am describing IS listed under the learning/article section here on BYC. Sorry I can't be more exact, but hope it helps anyways. :fl

These rats are the worst predator. I am at my wits end trying to defeat them! We are near a couple of commercial storage places and I think that makes it even worse. Ugh!

The full sized Woods Coop at 10' x 16' was intended to house 40 birds. If it fits your climate, it would be hard to beat. It is the real deal chicken house design dating back about 100 years.
If this is to be permanent, a cement slab floor will solve a lot of problems with rats and digging predators.
Thanks! My little pens for mamas/chicks and others I want to separate are very open. I'm going to look into this for the larger coop, too.

So I was just offered a small school bus for only $400! I think I'm going to try to make it work. I can open lots of windows, it's up off the ground, and nothing can chew through it (darn rats!).
Thanks for your help. I'll let you all know how it goes!

So I was just offered a small school bus for only $400! I think I'm going to try to make it work. I can open lots of windows, it's up off the ground, and nothing can chew through it (darn rats!).
Thanks for your help. I'll let you all know how it goes!
Wow, good idea! If I could find a good place for that on my yard, I would love to have that!

Back
Top Bottom