Coop for Bantams

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by marlene, Oct 8, 2011.

1. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Tomorrow i start the extension of my existing coop to accomadate my bantams, i need to know if i need low roost bars and nest boxes for my bantam breeds?
    I did read some where on here that bantams don't generally use roost bars, is that so?. If i do need roost bars for them at what hight should they be?
    Thanks in advance for any help you offer [​IMG]

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Depends on the breed. Silkies generally don't roost, but most other bantam breeds do. [​IMG] and yes to the nest boxes too.

3. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I have silkies and pekins. So should the roost bars and egg boxes be lower for them?

4. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, FYI...I have a silkie that thinks she is super-woman. she roosts with the big girls...6' off the floor of the coop. Don't no what to tell you....chickens are chickens. I would put roosts alittle lower....maybe even at different heights.....then let them decide. Good luck.
    Erik

5. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

We have Old English Game and alot of Cochin bantams and we put our roost poles about 2 and a half or 3 feet off of the ground and they all roost on them....

6. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Thank you all for your help, just wanted to make sure i got it right for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by