Coop for blind chicken made from spare wood

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by spotsplus, Apr 20, 2009.

1. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    We have a blind chicken so I decided to build a new coop. We had been usinga a 10 x 10 dog kennel with a multi tarp roof and wooden hen house. My other 3 hens would pick on my blind one so she had to have a space to herself which was quite small.

Here is the finished project:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That is "Shirley" in the bottom part.

The wood was left over after we tore a small barn down.
    I only bought $12 worth of strapping. It measures 8 feet long, 4 feet deep and 6' high. It has two levels with the top level being wood. Besides the two doors on the bottom there is a opening so I can set up a coop ladder but thought it safer to have Shirly hang out on the bottom half and I put my quails in the top and they love it. I have a hinged door on the bottom half of the "house" part on the top level and another hinged door on top at the other end. [​IMG]
    Tammie

2. Debi214

Debi214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    Awe! I applaud you for caring for a blind bird.........most people would just cull it.

3. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Thanks for keeping her instead of culling I have 2 crossbeaked birds one is a Silver Sebright Roo and a white Silkie pullet and I handfeed them. I also have a hen with a "overbite" but she doesn't need extra work.

4. Bwaaak!

Bwaaak! Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    What a beautiful house for a chicken with... disabilities! can Otis, my half blind silkie girl come visit? [​IMG] She lives in a comune right now with 30 prepubescent, chest bumping, jumping, partying chicks and while she finds it entertaining (I think) she would rather lead a more sedate and refined life. Kudos to you!

5. deenamr

deenamr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    Central Oregon
    I am so happy that you have Shirley. Thank you for taking care of her special needs. I love her new house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by