Coop for Hawaii weather

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicknhawaii, May 16, 2008.

1. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    I was browsing through some coop styles and notice that all of them are more like houses, closed up with a window or two. I'm feeling a bit bad about what our chick-chick is in...

This is what she started in when we brought her home. It's a Dell computer box with cutout sides and (don't laugh) sheet protectors. No heat lamp, just a feeder and waterer and newspaper. I later put a stuffed animal in there which she roosted on a lot.

[​IMG]

This is what she's been in for a little over a week. She was too big to keep inside 24/7 so we moved her to a shady, breezy area in the backyard. We have since put a trash bag on top of the roof to protect from rain.

[​IMG]

I went TOTALLY free for our chick, using stuff around the house. Except the feeder and waterer. We cover her at night, which we've been doing since she was in the brooder.

Is this ok in your opinion?

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Hey, whatever works! If you plan on keeping her around for awhile, you may need something a bit more permanent. As long as she's healthy and warm enough, I'd say it's ok!

3. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    First of all, let me say welcome to BYC. Also that is one lucky chick chick you have there. I visited Waipahu for about 6 months when my family was there. Love it, love it. Do you have any predators there?

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

welcome, what a great place to live, a suggestion, please get your chick a buddy...they aren't meant to be alone....

5. chicknhawaii

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    LOL I am researching 2 buddies for her already! The problem being if we were to get roosters, we'd have to give them away. We don't live in a chicken-friendly neighborhood. =p

Anyway...predators...no "wild" predators, we live near Waikiki so city. [​IMG] There are a couple of stray cats (that haven't visited since we put up a vinyl fence) and I suppose eventually rats could come. We have 2 dogs who are 95% indoors but seem to keep strays and others away. Except chameleons.

I thought our dogs would eventually become predators but now that she's about the same size as they are, they keep their distance for the most part lol!

The weather has been very warm, in to mid-80's average every day and nights do get down to mid-60's/low 70's.

We do let our chick out for a couple of hours 2-3 times a day (depending on weather) and this set-up is temporary. [​IMG]

TY for your welcome and input...I think my friends think I'm nuts!

6. bionic_chicken

bionic_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Spring, TX
    Welcome, Hawaii! I just want to post to BEG you to get your chick a buddy. Chickens are flock animals and to be alone is unnatural for them. Your chick needs another chick to cuddle with and talk to. And you'll be a happy chicken mama with more chickies to love![​IMG]

7. chicknhawaii

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    I forgot to mention that chick-chick likes to sit in front of a mirror we have in the house (we bring her in once in awhile to visit lol) AND she likes to follow this family of gray doves that like to hang out by her coop. [​IMG]

I'm planning on acquiring 2 Browns next week. [​IMG] But shhh I haven't told anyone yet lol plus it's not legal to keep 3. Shhh...

8. bionic_chicken

bionic_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Spring, TX
    *whispering* Your secret's safe with me...[​IMG]

9. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Im sorry... I would love to help...but out of jealousy, I can not!! [​IMG]

Whatever works for you guys is great! Glad to hear she is getting friends next week!

10. PAJerry

PAJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Waterford, PA
    Good luck with your chicken project. I can't believe that your neighborhood isn't 'chicken friendly'. We got a kick out of all the 'wild' chickens roaming around Lihue on Kauai. My wife got a pic of 2 of them walking thru the drive-thru lane of a KFC there. Absolutely hilarious![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by