Coop for Hen raising chicks?

Frundette

Songster
11 Years
Mar 9, 2012
NC
Hi! I'm relatively new to the world of keeping chickens and want some advice about good coop setups for a hen to raise her own chicks.

We got our first batch of chicks in the spring. 4 bantam hens and a rooster. Come spring, if one of the hens goes broody, I'd like to let her raise some peeps.

Our current setup is a tractor style A-frame coop with a nest box on each end in the loft.

From what I've read, it sounds like I shouldn't let her raise chicks inside here with the other chickens. Any thoughts on that?

Does anyone have any plans or pictures of a mini-tractor setup for a hen with peeps?

I am new to this chicken owning too, and plan on doing exactly what you said when my hens go broody, have a small coop with small run attached for her raise the chicks. My favorite looks exactly like yours except all one level, the small A frame coop at the end of the run.

Depends on how many chicks she hatches. I would give them plenty of room or they will start to pick on each other. The tractor you have pictured looks like a good size for a hen with 5 to 6 chicks.

tht sounds like it should work
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif

I am new to this chicken owning too, and plan on doing exactly what you said when my hens go broody, have a small coop with small run attached for her raise the chicks. My favorite looks exactly like yours except all one level, the small A frame coop at the end of the run.

I think the one level type might be better than my current setup. Maybe I'm underestimating them, but it seems like peeps would have a tough time with the ramp for the first couple weeks.

my baby chick has just past last weekened we think it was because not a enough room when he died we gave them more room god bless little baby obama r.i.p that is my chicks name

Back
Top Bottom