Coop for the Summer

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducks-love-me, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Ducks-love-me

Ducks-love-me Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2013
    We own a lake behind our house so I want to build a duck pen back there but how would we do that? We should put wire in ground under the late or just make a pond?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Domestic ducks don't really need a whole pond. My flock of 13 has three concrete mixing pans. This is what they look like

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-Large-Mixing-Tub-887102A/202086174

You can probably find something similar. I like them because they are very heavy duty, easy to dump, rinse and refill.

In the winter sometimes we just use one, or if it's really cold, they wash up in their drinking pot, a two gallon stew pot something like this (without the lid of course)
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-16-Quart-Stock-Pot/20713638

For me the most important thing is their security, keeping animals from getting at them.

3. Ducks-love-me

Nov 30, 2013
  4. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    That link is ├╝ber fab! Thank you for sharing! My only concern about the tire would be the possibility of chemicals leeching into the water. And I have no idea for a drain, but my opinion is that it would be best!

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I can honestly say that is a new one! a tire pond, frankly, i'd save yourself the work and buy a kiddy pool or a trough... there is a pond thread here if you desire more elaborate, fancy set-ups most use pond liners for those. I use troughs ad kiddy pools for all of mine.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I used to help install tire troughs in the land of coal mines. Many of the old tires had been filled with limestone - not toxic. People would load one on a flat bed truck and drive it through the car wash.

Oh, these tires were 6 feet in diameter - had come off of mining trucks.

Anyway, it is good to make sure there was nothing nasty in the tires.

7. Ducks-love-me

Nov 30, 2013
    Okay. I will either use a kiddie pool or a tire pond. I love this site I have been able to ask all the questions I need and I feel comftorble posting them. Some people on here are really nice. byc is a great site. I am so happy I joined! :welcome

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Good to have you here, Ducks-love-me, we learn from each other. How are the duckies today?

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    [​IMG] Glad you like the place, we all share a common goal of keeping our birds happy, healthy and safe... and BYC is a great foundation to be able to share it.

10. Ducks-love-me

Nov 30, 2013
    Yes byc is amazing! I am glad to be here! And so great full for all u amazing duck people! :welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by