Coop frame material.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rockdove, May 16, 2011.

1. rockdove

rockdove New Egg

May 16, 2011
    Hi guys,

I'm in the process of learning about keeping chickens and playing around with coop designs.

My question is what type of timber should I use for the coop frame?

It will be a flat roof design with plywood walls and a corrugated roof. [​IMG]

If someone could link me to it from this website that would be great: ww w.diy.c om

Thank you so much in advanced for any replies![​IMG]

2. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Basic rule of thumb, anything that touches the ground should be pressure treated, the rest doesnt have to be as long as you paint the exterior or treat it in some fashion.

3. rockdove

rockdove New Egg

May 16, 2011
    Quote:If I was going to stand it on concrete blocks would it matter so much if it was treated?

Also one thing I am debating is whether to build an automatic door system.

Does a coop need a door of any kind? It will lead into a fox proof run. I live in the U.k so not many predators around here.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  4. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    As long as it is off the ground you should be ok, I would still paint or treat it. Wood will absorb water if it is even close to the ground......but alot depends on your weather. here, even if its dry out, we get a daily heavy dew and wood 4 or 5 inches up gets wet.

Most folks prefer a sealed style coop, but I geuss if the weather is fair and the predators arent really an issue , a no door set up could work. I would have a door and leave it open over not having a door.

5. LC orps

LC orps Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2009
    Mcleansville, NC
    it should be treared as concete holds a lot of moister

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by