1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop framed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BamaJ80, Mar 18, 2013.

1. BamaJ80

BamaJ80 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    What's up everyone? I started my coop Saturday evening and thought I'd post pics and get some ideas on what to side it with. Any opinions would be appreciated.[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I LOVE using re-purposed cedar fencing to side my smaller coops. I think it makes them look 'warmer' and more homey. Most fencing places usually have a 'free pile' of stuff they've torn down. Or CL is a good place to look.

3. BamaJ80

Mar 12, 2013
    I thought about that but only squaring the ends and make each piece lap over the other one.

4. RiNkY

RiNkY New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    Are you using plans? This is pretty much exactly the size we are looking for with the external laying box. One thing I was planning on doing with mine tho was adding storage under the laying box on the end.

I was originally planning on using the prepainted siding panels on mine, but will see what others suggest for you. Being in AZ I need a lot of ventilation.

5. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i think choosing a siding that doesn't transfer heat/cold is a good idea. the other option is to insulate.

6. BamaJ80

Mar 12, 2013
    I designed and drew up my own plans.I had some paneling strips that are 4 inches wide and 5/16 inches thick that I started nailing on like lap siding.I'm thinking about adding foam insulation board as well.

7. BamaJ80

Mar 12, 2013
    [​IMG]. Here's a little bit of the front covered.I'm having to do just a little at a time.Its hard to get much accomplished when you have to chase a two year old little boy around the yard too lol.

8. RangingChicks

RangingChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Somewhere in the USA
    Looks good, keep us posted.

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Looks great so far, Like it's going to have a nice rustic look to it!

10. BamaJ80

Mar 12, 2013
    Got one more side done.This dang weather isn't cooperating at all around here lol.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by