Coop Framing Question

twoisforjoy

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2017
Uxbridge, MA
Forgive my wording in this thread. I'm not really familiar at all with like. Architecture-y terms. So hopefully descriptions like "tilty-roof-thing" will make enough sense that someone can answer my question(s). Google is not being very helpful.

I'm working on designing a coop to my own specs, with a 4' front and a 6' back (thus: tilty-roof-thing). I'm sure I'm gonna have a bunch of questions as I go through, especially with regard to framing and roofing, and I'm hoping people here can help.

My first question -- more a curiosity "why is this thing like it is" question -- is how come corners get like. One board along say, the front and another board along the side? To make a right angle for the corner. I'm assuming it serves some purpose and you can't just... have one along the front going pependicular to the studs, and then none on the side and just studs? Does that question even make sense?

I'm pretty sure my second question is gonna be along the lines of "fsking roofs, how do they work?", so if anyone has any links that explain how to calculate how big the... the right angle cuts? So that the roof... stud-things aren't only touching the top of the frame on one corner? How big those need to be.

Oh my god could this post be any more unclear?? I'm posting it anyway, but I totally get if all y'all are "..." over it.

Forgive my wording in this thread. I'm not really familiar at all with like. Architecture-y terms. So hopefully descriptions like "tilty-roof-thing" will make enough sense that someone can answer my question(s). Google is not being very helpful.

I'm working on designing a coop to my own specs, with a 4' front and a 6' back (thus: tilty-roof-thing). I'm sure I'm gonna have a bunch of questions as I go through, especially with regard to framing and roofing, and I'm hoping people here can help.

My first question -- more a curiosity "why is this thing like it is" question -- is how come corners get like. One board along say, the front and another board along the side? To make a right angle for the corner. I'm assuming it serves some purpose and you can't just... have one along the front going pependicular to the studs, and then none on the side and just studs? Does that question even make sense?

I'm pretty sure my second question is gonna be along the lines of "fsking roofs, how do they work?", so if anyone has any links that explain how to calculate how big the... the right angle cuts? So that the roof... stud-things aren't only touching the top of the frame on one corner? How big those need to be.

Oh my god could this post be any more unclear?? I'm posting it anyway, but I totally get if all y'all are "..." over it.

Google. Rafter square reference guide. You will find what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Check out this series of videos, he has a separate video on framing, but you can at least start getting some of the terminology to google it.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh0KqGKtX4oU9z9ok2mtVO6cacPD_Mbw4

Also, I found a used textbook on Carpentry at Half Priced Books (used bookstore) might want to pick one of those up.
Oh, excellent!! I'm headed to the library tomorrow to see what they have for carpentry books. Might end up having to hit up the city library instead, but oh well.

Thank you!

Rafters can be intimidating. I know a construction calculator helped me out, along with trial and error on some practice 2x4s. Good luck

Rafters can be intimidating. I know a construction calculator helped me out, along with trial and error on some practice 2x4s. Good luck
Yeah, they look hard? Like, my general approach to life is "how hard can it be?", and most of the time, it turns out to be a lot harder than I thought but still doable. So the fact that I'm looking at rafters going "ummm those look hard" makes me nervous that it's gonna be the first thing to fall into the "harder and impossible for me" category.

But, I won't know until I try!! I'll definitely use some practice 2x4s and a construction calculator. Thank you for the suggestion!

Hey, I like your attitude haha ya might as well try. I had to study framing and roofing but tackled it. There's a lot of things I had to teach myself when building our coop but it's definitely worth doing yourself. I had basic tools so no need to have much... not long ago there wasn't even power tools. We did a storage cabinet within the coop accessible only from the outside

Hey, I like your attitude haha ya might as well try. I had to study framing and roofing but tackled it. There's a lot of things I had to teach myself when building our coop but it's definitely worth doing yourself. I had basic tools so no need to have much... not long ago there wasn't even power tools. We did a storage cabinet within the coop accessible only from the outside

Ooo that's pretty awesome! I forgot today was Sunday, so the library was closed, but I'm definitely heading over tomorrow to get a bunch of books they claim they have on their online catalog system.

I have basic tools, but I'm thinking of getting a super basic and unfancy $30 circular saw because my ability to saw straight with a handsaw is, um. What's the opposite of good? Oh yes. Bad. Real bad. I made an electric spinning wheel once and, while it worked in the end, it was not pretty.

Back
Top Bottom