Coop from fence slats?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by spiffwilkie, Mar 22, 2011.

1. spiffwilkie

spiffwilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    Our neighbor recently took down an old privacy fence and I grabbed a few sections since the boards were still in relatively good shape.
    I'm also in the planning stages for a new coop and I would like to keep the costs down to a minimum. I was considering using the fence for walls. I would take a saw to the sides to make them straight and I figured since the wood was already old and weathered, I wouldn't need to deal much with it warping. However, I'm afraid I would still get a lot of drafts, especially in the winter.
    Does anyone have experience building a coop from a wood fence? Should I bite the bullet and just buy sheets of wood for the walls? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    do you have enough to do a board and batton sidding?

3. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    What area do you live in. Does it snow? It doesn't snow here and I built an open coop for my hens and built it at the corner of my property so two walls are made from privacy fence. The rest is made from old pallets. It's not pretty but it works and they stay dry when it rains. Eventually I'm going to rebuild it so it is more eye pleasing (to me, 'cause I don't care what anyone else thinks)

4. spiffwilkie

Mar 22, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    Quote:I had to look it up [​IMG] but I just might. I might be able to split some of the boards in two or three and use those to cover the cracks where the large boards connect. Good idea.

5. spiffwilkie

Mar 22, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    Quote:I'm in Memphis, TN. We don't get much snow, but it does get very cold and windy in the winter. It also gets super hot and humid in the summer. I'm planning on making one wall removable so that I can take it off during the summer months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by