Coop from greehouse parts?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicabee19, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I have all the parts for a 20 x 12 ft. double-walled polycarbonate greenhouse that I am not going to use for that purpose.

I saw a coop made with this type of greenhouse wall that I really like - thinking about building a private gazebo and a small coop with my materials.

I could throw the shade cloth over the coop in summer if need be... but how could I keep it warm during winter?

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    What would you use for flooring? Maybe you could do deep litter to help heat it? And the sun would help too...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  3. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I was thinking just dirt inside and the DLM.

The soil is somewhat sandy and on a slope. Never had problems with water standing, etc...

Part of the fun of this is just dreaming things up!

4. glowworm

glowworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    Greenhouses cost $$$$ especially polycarbonate and big ones like that. Have you tried selling it? You might be surprised at what you'd get for it.

5. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    We don't want to sell it.

We plan to use the excellent 4x4 lumber to build a gazebo.

Will use some of the double-wall sheets to enclose a small porch under our deck, the West wall of our deck and one wall of the carport underneath.

Using the 2x4 lumber and the rest of the polycarb for one or two walls of a chicken coop will just about use up the materials.

I think all we'll need to spend $ on will be wire for a small run.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by