Coop From Kids Plastic Playhouse?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Texas Fluffy Feet, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Texas Fluffy Feet

Texas Fluffy Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Arlington, TX
    Hi Group!

I am a newbie. I lurked here a couple of years back when I first decided I wanted Chickens to learn more about keeping them as pets. I grew up on a farm where we had chickens for eggs and meat. Now I am a city girl and I just want some fancy ones for pets. I no longer have a barn the size of a double bay garage to turn into a coop or an area the size of my backyard to be their run. I do have a nice sized spot on the back side of my yard for them though.
    My sweet husband was supposed to build me a coop 2 years ago for Christmas, then Valentines Day, then Easter... for 2 years now. I've decided he isn't going to do it and I am tired of waiting! I have a whole bale of Chicken wire to create my run and the perfect spot to do it. I just need a coop and I'm not confident I could build one by myself. So that leads to my question- do you think for no more than 4 bantam's I could convert an old Little Tykes playhouse into a coop? I looked at some of the small designs on here and I think it would be comparable in size. The inside demensions are: 3'9" at the highest point tall, 3'10" wide and 2'10" deep. If heigth is an issue, I have quite a few cinder blocks that I could use to raise it. I have already planned to anchor the coop down to the ground with steel cables. The cinder blocks may actually make this task easier. Please let me know what you think. I can almost hear all the eggs hatching and I don't want to go another year without my chicks! Thanks in Advance!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

6 sq feet is probably a bit tight for 4 bantams. Perfect for 2, probably squish in 3 or 4 if they have 24/7 access to the run. Check out the coop page and maybe you can get some good ideas out of it. One thing to note, racoons and dogs can tear though chicken wire pretty easily. However, I do use 1" chicken wire for my coops but it is from way back when, so it is a bit tougher than the new stuff, and I have had tear though problems on some of the coops, where it is now covered in 2-3 layers of the wire. Have fun and welcome to the board!

3. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I am thinking plastic would be to hot in the summer!

You could buy a wood dog house (or find one on freecycle for your area) and modifiy it. That is what I was going to do when I wanted 4 chickens!

Look at this one!!!

they did a wonderful job here even a slide out poop board & covered with wire so they don't walk in it)
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8633&p=3

sorry you need to scroll down!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2008
  4. Texas Fluffy Feet

Feb 20, 2008
    Arlington, TX
    Thanks for the replies! The link to the dog house post was really helpful. The tip to double the wire to keep out critters is too, we do have racoons in the area.

I guess I should have gave a little more information as to my plan. The spot that I have picked out for the chickens is on the east side of my house. It has 2 big shade trees that the coop will be between and is the coolest spot in the yard. I actually worry more about it being too cool and breezy there instead of too hot. It stays shaded in the area where the coop will be pretty much all day. I don't even get enough sun there to grow anything. The coop will set inside the run so they will have 24/7 access to it. The run itself will be tall enough that we can walk in. It will be at least 6' wide and 12' long. Here is a picture of the playhouse- obviously unloved for quite sometime by my kiddo and one of the area where the coop and run will be. Fence repairs are on the weekend plan. I would like for it to go well past the trees so they have plenty of room. T
    hree would be a fine number for us. I just don't want a single pair in case something happens to one and the other is left lonely. Thanks again for your advice!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Since it will be open year round to the run, go ahead and put 4 banties in there. They'll just use it to sleep in. If you could put a cover on a part of your run, that will help out alot too! Have fun!

6. AtRendeAcres

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    You have a really nice spot to have a coop & your little girl is a cuty!

Have you looked @ https://www.backyardchickens.com/chickencoops1.php

I
    am thinking you might want to go alittle bigger wanting bantams you want 6-8 ((You don't want to buy eggs if you have chickens!

something 4x4 would house 4 regular size chickens or 6-8 banty's with plenty of roost! You also want something easy to clean!

I also recomand Buff Orpingtons they lay the biggest egg I have ever seen a bantam lay ((it would be the size of a small egg in store)) also great with kids! They sell at Crackle or Ideal!

7. Texas Fluffy Feet

Feb 20, 2008
    Arlington, TX
    Thanks, she came running through when I went to snap the shot and I didn't take time to crop the pic!

I will check on the Buff Orpingtons. It's funny, the egg thing is not even a concern although it would be nice to have some from our own chic's! Me and the girl just want them to be pets and we both love the little bantams especially the little fluffy feet! [​IMG]

I am "hatching" my plan now. Hubby knows I am getting the chicks no matter what so I think he will help with the run and coop when he sees me get busy on it.

Lea

8. AtRendeAcres

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Have fun!

post lots of pictures we have bantam cochins & brahmas both fluffy and fun (brahmas eggs abit bigger than cochin but smaller than Buff Orpintons)

It is fun to eat their eggs so what ever you decide get enough chickens to keep you in eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by