Coop from waterbed base..shabby but works (Heavy PICS)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jessika, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    This was a fast thrown together one while I am working on a few of my ladies "winter" home. They seem to enjoy it. Took less than 2 hours to do.....shabby but works.

I am no builder.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I am always impressed by others' ingenuity.... taking scrap and turning it into something. [​IMG]

3. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I love shabby chic, isn't that in right now?[​IMG]

4. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    I like it! Plus, you can't beat the price! I've been checking CL and Freecycle every day looking for a castoff that can be ressurected into a coop.

5. KeyPenCoop

KeyPenCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2008
    Lakebay, WA
    [​IMG] Great coop, Jessika!! I am sure they're happy--------and now you have a brooder too!![​IMG]

6. Jessika

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    Thank you guys. [​IMG] I thought twice about posting it....but then said what the heck...it's for education purposes. [​IMG]

Everyone's coops look so nice...nicer than my nice one lol...so I thought I would show how workable a "shabby/ugly" coop can be. I thought twice about posting it....but then said what the heck...it's for education purposes. [​IMG]

It seems to be the one the ladies like the best! I am thinking about letting them keep that one for the fall. Goes to show me that practicability is better than razzle dazzle...lol.

We are not very cold here...just wet so we will see how it goes. It works grand so far. We didn't even have metal hinges so we used an old leather glove, cut to strips and nailed in place to hold the "hinged top" in place.

There old "nicer one" is almost ready...repairs mostly done and fresh paint. Like I said...think I'll let them keep this one for awhile.....Hmmmm......Room for more chickens? LOL [​IMG]

7. Jessika

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    Quote:Oh yeah...lol....a little light.....hehehehe...and room for more! Oh my...I had no clue I would fall victim to chicken addiction! (I did get the chicken pox once...thought that made me immune LOL)

8. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Very nice and functional. Great re-use.

9. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    [​IMG] Well done Jess...yeahhhhh, I have been lazy in not making coops, just keep using the stables instead.....But am so impressed at your skills!..slinks off to corner, must be more adventureous, make a new coop, get out hammer and nails.....come on English Chick get making stuff!

10. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Quote:Agree! Good recycle!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by